Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i often thought about removing the roof rack on my x to give it some clean look.. but sometimes i actually do think roof rack gives the x some better look.. so i am making a poll to see what y'all think..

by the way if the majority is that i should remove the roof rack, how do i remove them? basically unbolt them or what? easy to take them off? guide me a bit? thanks..

(sorry that i m not sure if i have to unbolt them or whatever.. it is because of i cant see my x yet ha, it is in michigan until next friday when i am on my spring break i am going to go to michigan to get my x)(sure cant wait to get my x!
)

*sorry i m not sure why the poll option is not appearing so i guess you all can just say it on the posts whether you think i should remove it or not.. thanks*

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
depends what look your going for..street vs. off-road. i removed mine..but did'nt like it..so i put it back on after repainting the cross bars.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
You have three options. Remove the rack only, not the permanent rails. Remove all of those parts, welding/painting required, like David did. You can also change to the Mountaineer roof racks, they are more attractive. Good luck,

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey Jarvis, I took off my rook rack off my mountaineer, I'd be willing to sell it to you, it should bolt right up. Theres a post on here somewhere, I want to say its in the 2nd gen explorer forum, but it basically said if you want to remove your roof rack for good, make damn sure you put something in your holes to keep water from getting in, it'll ruin the headliner and interior if you don't. The correct way to do it is like Don said, weld and paint it, but if you are one a limited budget, I used silicone, and haven't have a single problem, mines been off for about 7 or 8 months now. It is a much cleaner look afterwards.

Mick

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
The Mountaineer roof rack looks 10 times better then the Explorer roof rack. Has a more sleek and cleaner look to it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Go with the best of both worlds... take off the cross-beams and leave the rails in place.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jarvis, I took off my rook rack off my mountaineer, I'd be willing to sell it to you, it should bolt right up. Theres a post on here somewhere, I want to say its in the 2nd gen explorer forum, but it basically said if you want to remove your roof rack for good, make damn sure you put something in your holes to keep water from getting in, it'll ruin the headliner and interior if you don't. The correct way to do it is like Don said, weld and paint it, but if you are one a limited budget, I used silicone, and haven't have a single problem, mines been off for about 7 or 8 months now. It is a much cleaner look afterwards.

Mick

actually i m trying to get my x to become more of street.. so i think more likely i ll take everything off..

so no thanks 98mounty but if i change my mind, i ll get to u thanks again..

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
i took mine off, looks much better IMO

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yeah, it looks best with it gone imo.

If you like roof racks, the mounty one looks good, but to see any gain from removal on a mountaineer you can't just remove the crossbars. You have to remove the whole thing. the sides of the rack are much taller than the explorer ones.

Oxygen-When you removed your roof rack, did you just put the screws back in the holes with some silicone, or did you just seal the open holes with silicone? I am curious, because i want to remove mine. I was planning going the screw and silicone route.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the inputs oxygen and 99sportx..

since i think i am going to remove the roof racks.. i am wondering in will any paint on the roof be ruined after i remove the racks?? or it ll just be fine?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
No paint will be ruined if you remove the rails. I think there about 4 or 5 #3 phillips screws holding on each rail. After you remove them, you will just have to clean up all the dirt that is under there.

If you scroll down in this link, you can see what the X looks like without the roof rack. http://stlouismtb.tripod.com/saleenwing.html that is BlackMagic's site.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm i see it looks nice.. so i think i ll have no problem taking off mine either.. thanks 99sportx for the link to the pics..

i was just worried that my factory paint wont be there but seem like it will stay there after takin off the rack..

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I say remove them, but thats just me...

Unless you plan on welding the 30-35 holes and repainting the top, I would just remove the center runners.

I don't havge a closeup of the top, but this is what it looks like removed and filled:

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
FYI, use RTV like Ultra Black, not silicone. Silicone is a low quality substance, which eventually becomes hard and brittle. It will eventually let go, while RTV is far stronger and heat resistant.

Ultra Black is my favorite household sealant. I used it in replacement of roof sealant, it is far better and long lasting. Good luck,

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would only remove the racks on a 3rd or 4th gen, not 1 or 2, to me it just doesnt look right from the side unless you have the rear spoiler like cobra xp

·
Registered
76 Posts
FYI, use RTV like Ultra Black, not silicone. Silicone is a low quality substance, which eventually becomes hard and brittle. It will eventually let go, while RTV is far stronger and heat resistant.

Ultra Black is my favorite household sealant. I used it in replacement of roof sealant, it is far better and long lasting. Good luck,

If I take my racks off and use the Tahoe roof rails to cover the holes, I still need to use the Ultra Black, right? With the Ultra Black on there, can I ever put the racks back on?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I meant use the RTV for sealing holes, it can withstand the sun and weather. Mounting a different rail, that's different. Sealing the holes with RTV is very easily reverseable, it can be pryed out easily. Regards,

1 - 20 of 44 Posts