Explorer Talk banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
i would love to have the same racks with yours, stillaford :) give them to me for my easter gift will you? ha j/k but its sweet tho

i have decided that i ll just remove the racks and see if i like it.. who knows i can get the one pretty similar to what stillaford have.. or i might as well just put the racks back on if i dont like the look of it being removed..

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
You can have a set made for yourself but they ain't cheap...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey while we're one the topic, anyone else want my factory mountaineer roof racks, say 50 bucks plus shipping, cheap mod that looks good...

Mick

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Mick you should start a thread with pics in the for sale/trade forums...

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, I tried to remove my roof rack to see how it looked today. I really like it off, but I have one problem. I got one side off, but on the other side, there was one stubborn screw. It just won't budge. A lot of the other ones were in there really tight, but I managed to get them all but one. Does anyone have suggestions for getting it out? Could I try to get pb blaster in there?

I am off to go outside and install some trimmed rear bumpstops now. It should end my bottoming out problem in the rear.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
i was planning to take off mine today but it is raining so i couldnt do it this morning..

but now it stopped raining and my x is at MIDAS for a problem that i have when braking from high speed.. it owuld shake.. more likely warped rotors so.. hopefully it is done by tonite so i can get it and take the racks off tomorrow morning.. i ll make sure to post some pics..

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i took off the racks.. i took the pics before and after..

on the after pic, i didnt take off all of the racks.. i just took off the side to side racks so i can get concept whether i should go ahead take them off or put it back on..

post y'all opinions please! thanks

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Looks okay, I see the difference with the Explorer/Mountaineer racks. I hadn't ever had the rack on my 93 Explorer, so I am used to my Mountaineer unit.

Eric, do spray the bolts first with PB Blaster. Don't they tale a torx bit or allen headed tool, I cannot remember? Hopefully they are not phillips, I hate those. If it is, be sure to use the right size, a #3 I'd bet. Good luck,

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Jarvis: I would just leave it the way it is now, but remove the little tie down eyelets.

Don- They are a #3 phillips. I think I damaged the screw too much to get it out now though. I am not too happy with the removed look so I think I am just going to put the other side back on.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
actually i am not sure whether i dont like it being removed or its just that i m not used to having no racks there.. hmm i guess i m gonna wait it out a bit more and see if i should put it back on or not

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Jarvis, you inspired me. I thought I'd try removing my roof rack, and I also removed the little tie down eyelets like Eric suggested. I think it looks pretty good. Jarvis, leave yours off...

[attachment=4133:attachment]

[attachment=4134:attachment]

[attachment=4135:attachment]

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
that does look good without the rails!

Eric, you can drill out the screw and get a new insert.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Lookin good Mylo, that is how I have my roof rack currently.

Brad, I decided I liked the black rail on better than off. The screws showing in the roof just annoyed me. I will drill out the screw later when I decide to shave the whole rack.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Jarvis, you inspired me. I thought I'd try removing my roof rack, and I also removed the little tie down eyelets like Eric suggested. I think it looks pretty good. Jarvis, leave yours off...

[attachment=4133:attachment]

[attachment=4134:attachment]

[attachment=4135:attachment]

lol thats the first time i ve inspired someone

yeah i will remove the little tie downs thingy.. and i probably would take off everything later.. even the racks that goes vertically over the roof and mask the holes with silicone or RTV teflon something or i shouldnt?

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
lol thats the first time i ve inspired someone

yeah i will remove the little tie downs thingy.. and i probably would take off everything later.. even the racks that goes vertically over the roof and mask the holes with silicone or RTV teflon something or i shouldnt?

Lol. Congrats on inspiring me.
Yah, someday I'll probably remove the whole thing also, but you'll have to fill something like 35-40 holes, so I'll leave it like this for a while...

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Lol. Thanks. Yah, the plug is for the block heater. I want to somehow hide that.

mine comes out under the bumper..maybe you can re rute yours?

after i unplug it i just tuck it up under there..

21 - 40 of 44 Posts