Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2000 explorer sport. i want the roof racks off but i just dumped all my money into my system... so im going to do it myself.

i know there's gonna be holes ill need to patch up, and ive heard stories..

but does anyone know if its hard to patch the holes and make the paint match? we took em off my friend kim's blazer but she got lazy and just put electrical tape over the holes. its held for a year now.... buttt i dont wanna do that...

any suggestions?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Jess welcome to the site! Hope you will find it useful.....

thats what i was guna say, also its a lil risky cuz if u get a leak then it smells up ur interior
Not to mention you'll have water seeping in your interior which will become a huge problem very fast. Right now I just took the cross bars off, I still have the stupid brackets in. I would say Jess that you should just remove the crossbars in the meantime, but eventually save up enough money and go to a local body shop and have them put fiberglass over the holes. It'll look completely smooth and you'd never know anything was on there. By all means, don't do that electrical tape thing...

·
Registered
28 Posts
now that sounds like a plan... just bolts with some silicon... i'll give that a shot this weekend.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
You could just put the bolts back in with a little silicone after you take off the brackets.

That's what I did, just without the silicone lol. It works fine either way. Then I painted the bolts with touch up paint to match

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Nothing wrong with bringing back old threads. Better than starting new ones imo. It shows he knows how to use the search feature.

Good point.
If he was to start a new topic, everyone would've told him to search, lol.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
now that sounds like a plan... just bolts with some silicon... i'll give that a shot this weekend.

I did this and it looks pretty tacky when noticed..

Why dont you just get the Tahoe slats? No need in spending hundreds on getting the things cut out and filled back in. There are quite a bit of them and I doubt it will be cheap. Slats are only 23 dollars I believe and it looks just like factory when done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just used "Bubble Gum" and a little black plug to fill the holes.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I did this and it looks pretty tacky when noticed..

Why dont you just get the Tahoe slats? No need in spending hundreds on getting the things cut out and filled back in. There are quite a bit of them and I doubt it will be cheap. Slats are only 23 dollars I believe and it looks just like factory when done.

Does the tahoe slats only work on the 2nd gens?

I as a few of the others have mentioned just put the screws back in with some silicone, worked great. I am waiting on some paint though so i can touch it up and then it shouldnt be noticeable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does the tahoe slats only work on the 2nd gens?

I as a few of the others have mentioned just put the screws back in with some silicone, worked great. I am waiting on some paint though so i can touch it up and then it shouldnt be noticeable.
i'm going to try to do this tomorrow... i'll post picks later...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I dont know if they work on the 3rd gens, I can measure them and you could measure yours. I had just the screws for awhile, let me tell you, dont go under any trees with just the screws. They will catch on the branches and bend back and stuff..

The roof slats look 10x better than the screws sticking out. Also later on if you want to sell it you can just take them back off and put the rack back in, if you try filling the holes you may not be able to get the rack back on.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Can some one tell what year these tahoe slats are from ?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
A girl, welcome! Oh and yeah silicone that motha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts