Explorer Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, everyone still around? Haven't seen any new posts, thought you all black balled me or something!

Anyway, just a quick question on the CF option. As I understand it, it only meant that you had a trim piece (s) on your steering wheel and then around your radio area. Is that all? Thanks. Hope all is well with my brothers/sisters on this board!

Dave

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I don't know if he got aftermarket CF pieces, but Joe's 2000XP8 has the CF trim around the door handles on all four doors, and the radio bezel. He might have more in other places but that is all I can think of for right now.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
My XP8 came w/ CF on the mirrors and steering wheel only. On a 99 XP8 this guy I knew had that plus door trim, radio bezel and on the vents that are located on the top of the dash (the vents used to defrost the side windows). I called Saleen over the years many times to get the stuff that my XP8 did not come with and struck out. I have since bought a aftermarket door trim & radio bezel kit (both the molded kit) from http://www.truckperformance.com/ and the CF match almost perfect to what came on my XP8.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
What was the brand or manufacturer of the CF kit Tommy?

·
Registered
251 Posts
My 2000 XP8 came wit:

Carbon Fiber (Real) mirror covers.

Carbon Fiber (Fake) Steering Wheel inserts

Carbon Fiber (Fake) Radio Bezel surround

Carbon Fiber (Fake) Door Controls surround

As far as I know these are the only pieces to come on the XP8s from the factory. The additional covers for vents, etc. are all add ons.

As many of you know, even though ALL these pieces were to be delivered with the XP8s, many were not due to poor QA. Since Saleen farmed out all XP8 builds to local body shops to Irvine (they were not build at the factory), there was no formal QA plan in place to make sure all pieces were on the trucks. Some got the short end of the stick even though they paid for the items.

Speaking of the steering wheel? Mine was destroyed in a theft attemp. Someone must have a spare one to sell me. Prices for recreation are over $1,000. I just refuse to pay for that. I would go as high as $650, but that is it.

Rick

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
As far as I know these are the only pieces to come on the XP8s from the factory. The additional covers for vents, etc. are all add ons.

The guy w/the 99 XP8 I told you about before w/the CF vents bought it like that new from a Saleen Ford dealer (he did not put them on)

·
Registered
67 Posts
ha...ha rick, i know someone that has the steering wheel you are looking for! but it is still on my truck. but i am not ready to give it up yet.

FWIW, my truck has carbon fiber on the mirrors, doors, radio bezel , steering wheel, and defrost dash vents. all of which came on the truck from saleen. 99-017.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Hey Justin, Long time no see. How is it going ?

It must have been a 99 thing as that guy I know that had 99-018 also had it w/the defrost vents

·
Registered
67 Posts
things could not be better tommy. i am just waiting for the weather to get nicer around here so my XP could finally get out of the garage. i am sick of looking at it with all the dust it collected over the winter.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Justin;

Must be pre-2000 options as the three late 99's and the two 2000's I have seen do not have the extra pieces.

Hey you don't need that steering wheel as you don't even drive the truck. Help a brother out! Mine just turned 60K a couple of days ago.

Great to hear from you

Rick

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I didn't even know carbon fiber vent inserts existed until this thread.

How do they look? good?
Yup it's more or less just a carbon fiber outline of the vent piece. Observe:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
actually rob the vents i am talking about are the egg-shaped vents on the top of the dash with the three louvers in them.
Oh ok, so the vent piece right above that one then. I've never seen that with a carbon fiber accent to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts