Explorer Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be possible to fab a Saleen S281 front bumper to be used on an Explorer? I mean what all would be involved?

<center>
</center>

Would it be remotely possible obviously once you chop off the top part that wraps around the stang headlights? Is the width close? etc.?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoa, I gotcha but thats a big project at least for me (I have the time definitely, I just dont have the fiberglass skill/knowledge)....I'd love to do it

But thats also going to be very expensive, two Saleen S281 front bumpers aren't cheap by any means...

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Pretty good idea, but i'll say this, cancel the roll pan idea, because if you had both the saleen bumper and the roll pan, your truck would look like one of those trains with the cow plow on the front.

I do like the idea.

Rob, grow some balls and give it a try.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
/rubs chin

Once I get a little more money set aside I'm definitely going to have you do this. Shouldn't be that much longer either. Damn I want to go into the auto industry!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty good idea, but i'll say this, cancel the roll pan idea, because if you had both the saleen bumper and the roll pan, your truck would look like one of those trains with the cow plow on the front.

I do like the idea.

Rob, grow some balls and give it a try.

I've made up my mind for sure that I'm not getting the rollpan. haha a train

Its not a matter of "growing the balls" its having enough money set aside and especially if I were to do the project myself, I have absolutely no fiberglass/molding experience although I do desperately want to learn it. I've read some extremely detailed writeups on doing even minor fiberglass work and customizations but any way you cut it (har har) you'll spend ~$150 on supplies alone just to start the project you want to.

EDIT: Oh and just to add - I can't believe no one else has ever even thought of this or attempted it? I mean it seems pretty damn logical to say "they dont make them for Explorers but practically the same thing for Mustangs is made, so lets take that and fab it"

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have had the idea long ago. Just that with my o1 sport it wouldn't work as easy. Plus the cost of the cover and so on. I was about to make my own airdam but John V contacted my with the prototype of the 01 Sport/Trac airdam. So I didn't have to make one. I really wish I had more time and moeny to make everything I want to. That time will come soon, oh yea, soon.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That time will come soon, oh yea, soon.

Is that sarcasm or do you really have something up your sleeve?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rock on Matt.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Rob you can sell your DVD player since you've gotten rid of your DVD collection, oh what the hell, might as well throw in your TV, CPU & monitor to boot. by then you will have enough $$

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cobra, no I do not have the measurements and thats what I'm hoping someone might be able to come up with to see how close in width we're talking about. Yeah, I really think this is going to be the best way to EVER see another Saleen bumper on an Explorer, since the Xp8 front just IS NOT going to happen.

Hey, like we saw at that SEMA show picture with that Sport Trac and the Cobra R bumper on it, it CAN be done. Where there is a will, there is a WAY!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm sure this could be done with a lot of work. Photoshop makes it pretty easy! :roll:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice chop. Well hey we atleast know that it looks good now
8)

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Just another note, saleen parts are very durable and flexible, so bending them in some spots is very possible and will make the job easier. Although you will more than likely have to attach it with screws. But that's ok, it's commonly done on fox mustangs and the heads on the screws are painted.

G

·
yea it does look good....but lets just say u guyz have to much time on ur hands...the only time i use photoshop is when i need to resize an image or something....lol....but very nice crop

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'm going to stop by the dealership when I get back into town and see what the measurements are on one of the Saleens they have. Then I'll go from there...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts