Explorer Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and Gals;

I can barely hold my enthusiasm regarding this website. I have been dying out here in Colorado as there is one other XP8 here in the state and he drives it everyday and could care less about whether it stays in one piece or not.

First off, I would like to say "Hi" to everyone and express my thanks at joining in on this XP8 forum.

It has taken me a couple of years to track down the remaining pieces for my original XP8 to bring it back to factory original condition as I am the second owner. A lot of the missing items, the original owner said he never got on the truck right from Saleen. Regardless, I have tracked down quite a bit and now have a 3 inch binder of everything on this truck including all service history, brochures, delivery papers, etc..

Regardless, to bring it back to 100% original state, I am still in need of the following:

Original XP8 Carbon Fiber Insert Steering Wheel. The truck was delivered with it, but someone tried to steal the truck from the Ford dealership before the original owner took possession. Hence they destroyed the original steering wheel. Saleen was in the process of "killing" the XP8 and an order was put in for another repacement one, but never received. It was replaced with standard Explorer fare.

13" Performance Brake System. At 75 mph, the driver's side caliper let loose causing a lot of damage. The Saleen solution was to credit the original owner back the full 13" Brake option cost, take back all pieces and install a full new Ford Explorer front brake setup at no extra cost. I have been fortunate enough to track down one original-from-Saleen STEEL mounting bracket and will be getting another one fabicated once I have the rest of the Saleen system in place. HOWEVER, I am not sure what I need. I hear the Alcon rotors need to be milled once they come in. Can someone verify this? Also I hear the explorer calipers differ from that of the Mustangs, so I do not know what I need to buy? Can someone lay out the complete kit with part numbers for me? OR is this something that will be sold by this website in the Accessories section.

That would be it. I have a bit of work to do to it as when I bought it, it was "keyed" in a couple of places. Three weeks after buying it, someone in the Costco parking lot felt the other side needed to be keyed as well. It has not had a single thing happen to it since then and that is well over 1.5 years ago. It took me over a year to find new silver graphics so i could get it repainted.

The truck had black when I bought it. Came with silver from the factory. Oxford white and Silver which looks killer and very unique. When the botched theft took place, the thief did some damage to the original drivers door and Saleen sent them black graphics, thus the change to black graphics took place right at delivery to the original owner.

Anyway, I just wanted to say "Hi" express a couple of things I was looking for. The only factory option my XP8 was not ordered with was the Recaro Seats as the original owner's wife did not like them. Oh well, if these can be made available with the reat seat to keep the original look, I would be interested in these in the future as well to completely round out a fully loaded XP8, even though the seats would not be original.

Anyway, someone save me from EBAY. If these items can be purchased from this website in the future, great! Anyone know where I can find them or sell them to me, even better.

Also, the ground effects would be of interest. Mine are perfect but since I drive it daily, I would like to lose the glass slipper analogy.

Rick

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Hey Rick! First off WOW we are becoming quite the destination for Saleen XP8 owners. I think we now have about ~10-15 XP8 owners. I gave you the Saleen XP8 Owner tag as well

I've been learning a lot about XP8's but I still don't know the ins-and-outs especially when it comes to the technicalities. 2000xp8 definitely can help you out a lot as he owns a real XP8 and a Saleen Mustang clone. Anyway, here's what I can answer for you....

Original XP8 Carbon Fiber Insert Steering Wheel. The truck was delivered with it, but someone tried to steal the truck from the Ford dealership before the original owner took possession. Hence they destroyed the original steering wheel. Saleen was in the process of "killing" the XP8 and an order was put in for another repacement one, but never received. It was replaced with standard Explorer fare.

While the "real deal" probably can never be replaced as that would be very hard to come across, here's what I suggest....Have a carbon fiber wheel made from Phoenix Imaging. They use a process called 'photo-genesis' to achieve a perfect emulated look of carbon fiber, or any number of other designs. The finished product is nothing short of spectacular. And a member on our boards just got one from them, CobraXP. Take a look at the finished product:

I think this is really the best option you have.

13" Performance Brake System. At 75 mph, the driver's side caliper let loose causing a lot of damage. The Saleen solution was to credit the original owner back the full 13" Brake option cost, take back all pieces and install a full new Ford Explorer front brake setup at no extra cost. I have been fortunate enough to track down one original-from-Saleen STEEL mounting bracket and will be getting another one fabicated once I have the rest of the Saleen system in place. HOWEVER, I am not sure what I need. I hear the Alcon rotors need to be milled once they come in. Can someone verify this? Also I hear the explorer calipers differ from that of the Mustangs, so I do not know what I need to buy? Can someone lay out the complete kit with part numbers for me? OR is this something that will be sold by this website in the Accessories section.

I heard about this being a huge problem from Joe (2000xp8) and as you pointed out, they replaced it with Ford factory brake rotors and calipers. That would be awesome if you could somehow fabricate a set so that you can keep them on...by all means it looks so much better. But have you ever thought about maybe getting Brembo drilled brake rotors and calipers? It doesn't come cheap but it will still give you that high performance look and handling. Otherwise, what do you think about running Powerslot rotors and some really good brake pads? Unfortunately you'd need to still run the stock calipers but at least its something.

I'm almost positive that the Explorer calipers are much different from Mustangs as if they were the same I'd sure as hell be seeing a lot of people doing this swap. But again Joe would be the guy to talk to this about.

As far as the Recaro interior, somewhere on a thread in this forum and I will have to try to track it down - but there is supposedly a company that you can purchase the Recaro XP8 interior from...brand new...front and rear. I'm sure you don't care, but each front seat is ~1,600. I forget what the rear was quoted at. Anyway, it seems like that is going to be your only choice. And damn that previous owner's wife to hell for "not liking it"

As far as the bodykit, well, unfortunately that is probably never ever going to be a reality. As you know Saleen destroyed the molds for the XP8 bodykit a few years back and next to no parts ever appear on eBay. And anytime they do they are always pulled off auction early, from people just offering an obscene price. I think you're pretty much screwed with that. There was a guy on this site that was more or less trying to petition to get a body kit made again and he was somehow going to really make it happen, but I guess surprisingly the demand was too low.

I'm sorry to hear also that you've been having troubles with "haters" who have been trying to damage your car. Sounds like its pretty out of control out there. Finally....do you have any pictures of your XP8? I would love to full-sized images!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Welcome to ExplorerX!!!!
It's great to see another Saleen owner!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob;

Great to hear from you! Thanks for the XP8 tag!

The steering wheel is a huge source of frustration because I know of an XP8 owner in the Chicago area that has a spare one but will not sell it to me or anyone else? I will keep his name silent though as maybe a year or so more of working on him will pay off. That and I have to respect his reasons why. He is a great guy. I don't like it but I respect his decision. He! He!

The brakes? Well the only thing I know is this:

The correct Saleen Explorer Caliper Numbers are:CAR7450H28ASRT,

CAR7450H28ASLT. I believe these can still be purchased through Saleen by bugging Bob Root enough. The rotors too, though I do not know if the rotors are a special number or not. Help here? I also do not know if the brake lines are special, etc.

The key to the package was the only part that Saleen made themselves and it happened to be the weak link. The aluminum caliper mounting brackets. Marc Yates, I believe was the only XP8 owner to receive steel brackets from Saleen. I happen to stumble across one original steel bracket by fluke, but will need to have another one fabricated. The left and right are mirror of each other I believe. Eric Chenney of XMP in California has done a lot of the Explorer conversions but they would use non-Saleen parts so he is good to go as far as a knowledge base. If I can scrape up enough money this summer, I would like to do this conversion to return it to original. If I can make it happen, I will put together an install, etc. article to help anyone in need.

The seats, well I would be interested in knowing where these can be acquired. My 2000 has the Dark Charcoal interior and I have never seen the Dark Charcoal colored Recaros. Light Grey, yes! but Dark Charcoal, no!

Anyway, looking forward to participating with everyone. As far as the XP8 ground effects! As soon as someone puts a good business plan together with the latest manufacturing QA, etc. to approach Saleen, where they are paid a royalty for the patent on new XP8 authorized parts reproduction, I suspect they will allow a company to move forward. I have personally spoke with John Dillon, VP at Saleen, at length on this issue and if enough interest can be generated and expressed to Saleen anything is possible. John said, it would have to be worth Saleen's time. Let's see no money or some money for doing absolutely nothing.

Between the XP8 parts, the 93 and older Saleens, etc. Their really needs to be a company to step up out there to reproduce Saleen parts. The opportunity is just sitting there waiting for someone. BUT they can not get too greedy which is why Saleen has not allowed this to happen yet. They have been approached. Tell ya what? If I win Powerball next Wed. I will make it happen. Ha! Ha!

I suspect if Saleen goes tits up, then it should open up that possibility right? Never say never! I susepct if the entire kit can come it right at $1250 or less, than it would be able to do fairly well in the market. Lots of cheap Explorers out there. Lots of kids with only cheap budgets. Explorers make for good sound stages, etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Rick, welcome to the board!

I guess I can help you out with a few things, I have all the numbers for you regarding the brake parts plus all the dimensions, you are right the rotors need to be milled, the center needs to be enlarged and the bolt holes as well.

I am 99% sure the calipers are the same as the mustangs( according to Alcon in the UK), brakes hoses I suggest you have them made by a Goodridge( or goodrich) dealer as they are a bit to short as installed by saleen, mine were torn off while driving!!!

the brackets will have to made of steel I have heard that the Alu ones are prone to break, so I will have mine copied in steel as well.

BTW the brake kit is still sold thru Bear brakes( the Alcon brakes).

Just send me your email address and I will send you all the dimensions regarding the milling/holes/numbers etc.

I can get you the rotors from Alcon in the UK as well if you like, but they don't come cheap due to the Euro/dollar rate.

Let me know if I can help or dropme a line at [email protected]

HENNIE

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Well rick, nice to see you, if you remember me, i linked you to another explorer site i was a part of, quite a while back. I still have your email saved in my address book, and soon you where going to get another invite.

I believe the way i met you was that you may of had a rear bumper on ebay and i emailed you.

BTW, ricks the guy i got my info about the brakes from.

·
Registered
171 Posts
the dimensions are as follows

the holes need be bored to .625 +/- .001

the center has to be opened to .284

and the face neds to be milled .23 off the face

the pads I use are Ferodo ( frp1077h)

the rotors have the following alcon number DIV2148x007 gl/gr, they are the same as used on the mustangs.

Hope this helps, let me know when you have the brackets copied, I need to replace mine as well.

Hennie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts