Explorer Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, nice to be a part of this forum group. I have a 1997 Ford Explorer that's having engine troubles. I've done some minor repairs. Last things I've done to the truck is repair starter and fuel pump. Prior to repairing the fuel pump the truck sat up for a year immobile and unable to crank. I just got the truck back running recently. The engine rumbles and the truck sputters when I put it in drive, reverse and turn on a/c. Looking for some help with this issue. Hope someone can give me a solution. Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did the engine run good a few years ago before the starter and fuel pump troubles?
Does it idle smoothly when in park?
Check engine light on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys, nice to be a part of this forum group. I have a 1997 Ford Explorer that's having engine troubles. I've done some minor repairs. Last things I've done to the truck is repair starter and fuel pump. Prior to repairing the fuel pump the truck sat up for a year immobile and unable to crank. I just got the truck back running recently. The engine rumbles and the truck sputters when I put it in drive, reverse and turn on a/c. Looking for some help with this issue. Hope someone can give me a solution. Thank you.
Not really enough info to be of help.

How many miles? To start.

Rumble is not a word typically used. Is the noise you hear a misfire?

Is it a clanging sound, a banging (hammer like) sound.

Does the pitch go up and down with engine speed?

Is the check engine light flashing?

Does it change when engine is warm?

Does it change when you are moving?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the engine run good a few years ago before the starter and fuel pump troubles?
Does it idle smoothly when in park?
Check engine light on?
Yes it did run fairly smooth. It's bumps a little in park. No engine check light anymore. Only had two codes show on the scanner. P0113.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really enough info to be of help.

How many miles? To start.

Rumble is not a word typically used. Is the noise you hear a misfire?

Is it a clanging sound, a banging (hammer like) sound.

Does the pitch go up and down with engine speed?

Is the check engine light flashing?

Does it change when engine is warm?

Does it change when you are moving?
Over 200k miles. It's a clanging sound. No clanks at the same consistency. No check engine light now. When the ac compressor is on it does it somewhat a little more. When move in reverse it does it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes it did run fairly smooth. It's bumps a little in park. No engine check light anymore. Only had two codes show on the scanner. P0113.

That p0113 indicates a likely problem with the PCM Computer. At this vehicle age, fixing these kind of problems is generally well beyond a shade tree mechanic. To do this. You likely need a couple of thousand dollars in electrical and computer test equipment, and more importantly, how to use them. Watch Eric O on a few of his youtube posts (South Main Auto) to see how he uses his nano and other probes to sort out stuff multiple mechanics have failed to do.

If you still want to take a whack at this, start by looking for bad grounds, chaffed/cracked wiring, perhaps eaten by critters.

Check basic engine info, vacuum levels, check for vacuum leaks using brake clean... Fords use plastic lines for their vacuum hoses that get brittle from heat with time. A vacuum leak will make the engine controls go wonky. You could see that if you had a $2000 nano!

Pull the plugs. Look them over for fouling.

Since the truck sat for a year, are you still trying to run on year old gas? That could alone be your problem.

Injectors could be gunked up with varnish..

Still up to it? Is it really worth it? In the end you might have an SUV that is only worth $1000

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes exactly
That is the classic sound of a spun rod bearing. You likely have a very serious problem that will soon cause the engine to self destruct. It is not economically repairable. Repair would be an engine swap. Probably not worth it given the age of the vehicle.

You should get an in person opinion. Hard to diagnose accurately over the internet.

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts