Explorer Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARE THERE ANY SHIFT KITS FOR MY 03 V6 EXPLORER

ARE THERE ANY SHIFT KITS FOR THE 2003 V6 EXPLORER? I LOVE THE TRUCK BUT THE SHIFT JUST BITES. THERES NO KICK AT ALL, IT JUST SLIPS. I KNOW THIS IS THE CHARACTERISTIC OF THE TRUCK BUT WHAT CAN BE DONE TO CHANGE THIS? I WILL BE PURCHASING THE SUPERCHARGER FROM EE WHEN ITS AVAILABLE BUT I SUSPECT IT WILL STILL SLIP. IF THERE ARE ANY KITS THAT WILL FIRM UP THE SHIFT? WOULD IT TEAR UP THE TRANSMISSION WITH THE SUPERCHARGER IN PLACE?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
First, Wecome to ExplorerX!!!

Second, turn off CAPS.

Third, I don't believe there are any shift kits available but I may be wrong. I don't think I've ever seen a kit but that doesn't mean it's not out there. Hopefully someone will be able to better answer your question.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: ARE THERE ANY SHIFT KITS FOR MY 03 V6 EXPLORER

ARE THERE ANY SHIFT KITS FOR THE 2003 V6 EXPLORER? I LOVE THE TRUCK BUT THE SHIFT JUST BITES. ?THERES NO KICK AT ALL, IT JUST SLIPS. ?I KNOW THIS IS THE CHARACTERISTIC OF THE TRUCK BUT WHAT CAN BE DONE TO CHANGE THIS? ? I WILL BE PURCHASING THE SUPERCHARGER FROM EE WHEN ITS AVAILABLE BUT I SUSPECT IT WILL STILL SLIP. ?IF THERE ARE ANY KITS THAT WILL FIRM UP THE SHIFT? WOULD IT TEAR UP THE TRANSMISSION WITH THE SUPERCHARGER IN PLACE?
No they aren't any kits out yet, only a rebuild kit. I had a talk with the guys at AED (Allen Engine Development) they have a roots charger for the 4.6 V8 (similar to EE's) and they get the ECU reflashed, but they do not suggest firming the shifts because of the instant torque from the posi displacment from the supercharger would fry the tranny. i was talking to transgo about using my X to make one....they haven't called me back yet :roll:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks, I was kinda worried about the tranny. I was told the tranny would be the weak link by the local tranny shop but wasnt sure.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
A chip, like the Apten chip, would firm up your shifts a bit.

·
Registered
418 Posts
A chip, like the Apten chip, would firm up your shifts a bit.
yes, that's true, but the part that sucks is that you have to send them your ECU because the the 02+ PTEC computer has no port for a chip
and they have to "reflash" our computers to tweek it. But I heard that EE and APTEN is coming out with a Programmer for us 3rd gens
still in the last stages I heard. maybe in a couple of months. I'm looking forward to that!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sucks I didnt know that! I was planning on going with the apten chip with the dual programs one for running 92 octane and the other running 87. so i guess the dual programs are out of the question now.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, doesn't Brian (Apten) send you a loaner while yours is being flashed, Sarek? I was under the impression that he did.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I wish.
I think that's only for the chips (that you take out) not the whole ECU. I emailed Brian a couple of months ago and he said that I had to physically be there or send him my ECU with a week turnaround. He didn't mention any loaner.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
As far as a shift kit, you may be screwed, pretty much forever, not to many internal kits ever come out for 6cyl trannys.

When you get the charger i'd pray there's a computer adjustment available, because until i got my shift kit, my trans wasn't shifting fast enough to keep up with the motor, i was hitting the rev limiter first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, Thanks for the info guys. Im really going to have to look into this further.

As it is now, it seems like it hits pretty close to the rev limiter when the vehicle is under hard acceleration, and thats stock! The ECU on the other hand i bet can be fixed by simply desoldering the chip and soldering a chip socket for the ic and having apten flash me a custum chip ill have to check that out.
good times

1 - 12 of 12 Posts