Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, Im trying to do a simple head unit install in my 02 Explorer XLT, theres NO sub, all stock stereo. BUT!! the radio does stay on when i turn the car off and take the key out (until i open the door) Im starting to read that this matter (please clarify for me) Ill list out what I have and the problems Im facing' SORRY FOR THE SIZE OF THE PICS!! COULDNT REDUCE!

I have:
Pioneer Head Unit (single deck/din)

mount kit similar to this

Aftermarket Stero Harness (plugs into stock stero haress) bought off Amazon

Wiring Color Codes that came with Aftermarket Harness above^:

Main Stereo Harness (stock)Fits into aftermarket harness perfectly :

Secondary Mystery Plug! (has 2 wires, also plugs into stock radio, but i have no clue what to do with these wires, here lies my problem!

Sooooo, Id like to know what I do with that secondary plug, the yellow & Gray w/blk wires. If i have to splice, where and to what (which specific wire/s) Id have to go in. Please help!! Im stuck and I dont want to make a bad choice and ruin my system.

MANY THANKS!!!

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
The secondary plug may be for things not utilized by an aftermarket stereo such as rear seat controls, mutli-disc changer, etc. It's hard to say without knowing how your truck is equipped. As for the stereo staying on until the door is opened, did the factory unit function that way? If so I would say that it's normal and is one of those convenience features where if you were to park, shut the engine off, but have to wait for someone in the parking lot, etc. that it would let you keep listening to your music without interruption. My two VW's work just like that as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The secondary plug may be for things not utilized by an aftermarket stereo such as rear seat controls, mutli-disc changer, etc. It's hard to say without knowing how your truck is equipped. As for the stereo staying on until the door is opened, did the factory unit function that way? If so I would say that it's normal and is one of those convenience features where if you were to park, shut the engine off, but have to wait for someone in the parking lot, etc. that it would let you keep listening to your music without interruption. My two VW's work just like that as well.
My 100% stock 2005 Ex works just like that. I turn the vehicle off, and can even remove the key from the ignition, and the radio/CD will continue playing for a limited time or until I open the door to get out.

Hope that helps. OP, the post is slightly confusing as to what is concerning you other than this. If it really is just the music playing until you open the door, then I think you are not in any trouble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts