Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I've looked, and maybe I didn't look hard enough, but whats the name of that paint-on smoke paint for your taillights that Rob put on his tails?? and also, how do you guys think it would look on my X with the taillights smoked (except the reverse lights... maybe) and the third brake light smoked too?? I'm just wondering, b/c I had blackouts, and lost ONE the other day, and do not wanna spend the $50 for a new pair, so if I can find this paint stuff, and it isn't that expensive, I'll do that... Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Susie:

Here's a link to Anabolic Frolic's article over at FXN:

http://www.fordexplorer.net/article.php?i=51

Pretty good how-to, only you could skip the step about the amber part. Rob also had a bunch of pictures of his in a thread a while back. You might look for that.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
ok, I've looked, and maybe I didn't look hard enough, but whats the name of that paint-on smoke paint for your taillights that Rob put on his tails?? and also, how do you guys think it would look on my X with the taillights smoked (except the reverse lights... maybe) and the third brake light smoked too?? I'm just wondering, b/c I had blackouts, and lost ONE the other day, and do not wanna spend the $50 for a new pair, so if I can find this paint stuff, and it isn't that expensive, I'll do that... Thanks all.
I used to have the taillight/headlight covers and I know exactly what you're saying. I spend $200 on four different sets. Finally I just said the hell with it because I had one that was stolen, I had one that just fell off, and the rest all cracked. They are entirely not worth it.

To see where I got mine from, go out eBay and search for the user "taillighttint".....this guy will ship out the cans really, really fast and you'll have it within 3 days (usually). I ordered once on a Sunday night and I had it by Wednesday morning. It's really cheap and that's the way to go.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I emailed that guy a couple weeks ago and he still doesn't have any. He hasn't had any for a while. I'll go check again but the only reason I haven't done mine yet is because I can't find it.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I thought I heard one time though, that you can get the stuff from like Wal-Mart.. Am I wrong on this?
I've looked there and I can't find it. Maybe you're thinking of the Testors red paint, because they do have that.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, that sucks then, I was hopin to go ahead and buy the smoke paint, then I would have it for the next time I'm at home to do it..

Oh, another question, Rob, you said you put like 3 coats of clearcoat on your lights after you smoked them, where did you gat the clearcoat? was it aerosol type? what was it called? and if I may ask, how much was it? Thanks

--Ryan

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Oh, another question, Rob, you said you put like 3 coats of clearcoat on your lights after you smoked them, where did you gat the clearcoat? was it aerosol type? what was it called? and if I may ask, how much was it? Thanks ?
Actually I put on more than that. And it is plasti-kote classic lacquer.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Hey, check your WalMart because maybe yours has it. I know that the WalMarts here carry some things that they don't back in NJ so it's possible.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So what do you guys think. How will it look if I did the taillights, and the third brake light?? I may leave the reverse lights unpainted, but not sure yet, b/c I have an aux. reverse light.

Here's some pics to help you visiualize::

If anybody is good at Photoshop, I would greatly appreciate it. But anyway, Bring on your opinions, I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm thinking I want to take my stock tails and smoke them as well. ?But I get really confused on how to do it. ?

How about a how to on smoking tails Rob
?That even us blonde's can understand

Hey, Susie, Sarek has tinted tails. He had a thread on FXN about his, too. I'll bet he'd just do it for you!!!!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts