Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just waxed my truck and the paint looks very very good, you can't see the swirl marks. Like I said you can see the swirl marks once the wax wears off and in the direct sunlight. Normally when I stand right in front of the truck I can see the swirl marks on the hood and the side of the body. But I can't see them at all now whatsoever.

So after talking to the guy at this new shop for awhile I basically concluded with him that it was not worth it to repaint my entire truck. Hey, no problem here because that will just save me a ton of money. So for $1,100 I will have a new front bumper cover that I need real bad, he'll remove a ding on the side of my car that has annoyed the hell out of me since day 1, paint all my trim and bumpers, and paint + install the other custom parts I have (airdam + front center bumper prototype cover thing I have that John V sent me).

This guy works 1:1 with the customers which is something I really really like. I've seen his work on a couple cars (because hes a friend to one of my friend's families), and he just knows what he's talking about.

So this should be done really soon, I will have it into his shop within a month so we're looking at by May 1st my truck will be completely monotoned. He also recommended a bunch of products to me to use specifically to at least repair/mask the swirling issues. But like I said right now my truck paint looks freaking great. So I really had to say to myself why should I spend an additional 3.5 grand to get a new paintjob when it really isn't worth it in the long run. I want a new paintjob but for an additional 3.5 grand I can deal with it. Hell, I could have a V8 swap or 4.0 Supercharger for that kind of money.

Well, I can't wait until this is all done. I will definitely have plenty of pictures for you all once it is done. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
front center bumper prototype cover thing
That's a long name for that item. Is that the official term?

Well that sounds like a good price and a good idea. If you can cure your problems with wax on the rest of it, get yourself a good buffer to make things easier on you and you should be fine.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I hate you.

J/K

Good luck with the monotone and all the parts being added. Can't wait to see when you X is done!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[..]Well that sounds like a good price and a good idea. If you can cure your problems with wax on the rest of it, get yourself a good buffer to make things easier on you and you should be fine.
That's definitely going to be the plan

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate you.

J/K

Good luck with the monotone and all the parts being added. ?Can't wait to see when you X is done!
I would say that I wish I had a 2001+ Sport, but since the only thing that isn't 2001 on my truck now is the front clip, I can't say that anymore
The rear end is virtually the same so I don't consider that any different.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How getting prices for a just clear coat too?
I thought about that but I didn't think you could clear coat a car whose paint has been without a clear coat for so long?
:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would get a swirl remover and use a Porter Cable on it then have them Clearcoat it and you'll be all set ?
Whats a porter cable
:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Porter Cable is the brand of an orbital polisher, probably the best on the market because it won't damage your truck. ?Here's a link to the one that Adam's carries....you can get it cheaper at Lowe's though...that's where I got mine.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/index.cfm?pag...=1&maxrows=100&
Thanks a lot for that link Susie, it looks like I'll be spending a few hundred bucks on that Porter Cable but also a bunch of Adam's Polishes products.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
[..]

I would get a swirl remover and use a Porter Cable on it then have them Clearcoat it and you'll be all set

At this point in time I think it would be to late to clear coat your X unless the whole thing was sanded and lots of other things done to it and that add's to the price again.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[..]

At this point in time I think it would be to late to clear coat your X unless the whole thing was sanded and lots of other things done to it and that add's to the price again.
That's exactly what I figured and that's why I never bothered really asking about it. I will just keep busting my ass but this time using products like Adam's Polishes, etc. to really take care of my paint issue. I am seriously really impressed by the last wax job that I just did and it was only using a single product....so my paint can't be as bad as I thought.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[..]

I have heard only good things about ?Adam's product but don't forget to look into 3M stuff, ask you bodyshop guy as he most likely uses it. IMO 3M is the best available
Yeah, I am going to start using 3M products in the meantime. Of course I have heard excellent things about 3M, so they are definitely top on my list. I have used Meguiar's products in the past and I was totally impressed by their products as well.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
[..]

I will just keep busting my ass but this time using products like Adam's Polishes, etc. to really take care of my paint issue.

If you get a couple coats on your X and stay on top of it, swirls will be a thing of the past

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[..]

If you get a couple coats on your X and stay on top of it, swirls will be a thing of the past
Very true, and thats what I do every single Spring - > Summer. But during the winter it's basically impossible to keep up with it and due to the amount of washing I do during the winter that also doesn't help.

My goal is to have a clean truck every single day as long as I can help it. So that means very frequent washings and detailings. I just can't wait to be stationed somewhere around Virginia and so forth because they have nicer weather longer throughout the year. Of course I'd love to be stationed somewhere in Florida, California and/or even Texas. So the time will come!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
3M might be good but they are not easy...That is part of the selling point of Adams or PoorBoys...they are so easy it's unbelieveable! And the finished product is just incredible. Both of these products are produced on the west coast, maybe that's why you don't see them as much. I can tell you they are by far better than Meguire's in eash of applying and getting off swirl marks.

But if you've never used them you will not know how great they are. Just ask Ryan....he's a believer now as well. Having a black vehicle (2 in my family) we really rely on Adams because of the ease of use. There is even a difference in the soap, because it is PH balanced it even feels different.

I can't give this product high enough marks and I don't get a kick back

1 - 20 of 28 Posts