Explorer Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today i was driving my truck and i floored it, cause i do that sometimes, and as the rpms went up i noticed that the battery gauge went down rather quickly and the battery light started flashing, now it does it every time i rev the motor, the lights dim and stuff, now i looked at the alternator, and i dont know but are the magnetos supposed to be moving when the truck is on? cause they werent, any input will help, thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
IMO, it's gone, or close to it. I have seen the same syntoms in more than one ford.

I've personally lost 2 mustang alternators the same way.

Also, if it does come out to be the alt, do not buy, autozone, pepboys or strauss auto rebuilds, or you will be going through the same thing in 3 months.

Matt's right, have it bench tested, i'd do it immediately, you don't want to get stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Don't drive very far. You're running off of the battery now and you'll only go as far as the battery lasts. If you can't get a good new one (like Joe said, not a rebuild) right away, check the local junkyards for a temp one. I've used used parts in the past and never had a problem. I put a used alternator in my Ranger, in fact.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Well, you can get a rebuild, the vast majority are, even ones from ford.

It's how well it's rebuilt.

Either that or look into an upgrade from a performance mag.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks guys for the input, im gonna end up goin with a higher amperage alt, should have it done by today, i need it for saturday cause im gonna be drivin 180 miles with 2 quads on a trailer behind it

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
i need it for saturday cause im gonna be drivin 180 miles with 2 quads on a trailer behind it
Yeah I wouldn't do that unless you have your alternator situation fixed by then

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, comming from an ex-AutoZone Assistant Store manager of 5+ years, check all of your connections first then the condition of your belt and the tension of the belt. If you have to buy an Alternator, don't buy a 1 year warranty one, Those are junk. The Lifetime Warranty ones are good as long as you have a fully charged battery when you first install it. Or else it overloads the replacement alternator and it becomes dead real quick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts