Explorer Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my spacers from Explorer Express came today...

...and now I just have to wait for the end of February so I can install these along with my Cobra R's. Right now the weather is really crappy here and so I'll wait until this is all over. By the end of February we never get anymore snow.

On another note, I also recieved an "Explorer X" windshield decal from Explorer Express. So once my X comes out of the body shop next week for the monotone, I'll put it on

Going to look badass!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ive got those same spacers man, be sure to torque wrench them SLOWLY when you put them on. It made a slight but noticable diffrence on my X. Pics to follow ...

P.S- Well worth the money and Im very happy with them! 8)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
What's the point of spacers? Just to extend the wheels out further?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. In this case, it was necessary for me because my wheels are too wide and it is rubbing the front sway bar. The spacers are designed to add in a small but enough of a gap to prevent the wheels from rubbing against the sway bar anymore. These look pretty thin, but John told me these would work so I hope they will.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Gotcha. I remember you mentioning you had that problem.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotcha. I remember you mentioning you had that problem.
Roger. Factory wheel width specifications are 255. My Cobra R wheel setup is 275. I would never refuse to run 275 in the future though, in fact I can't stand running the 255 stock wheel setup for the winters. I don't have nearly the pavement traction or overall "grounding" that the Cobra R wheel setup gives me. Difference is substantial.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Good to hear because I'm looking to get those exact same wheels this spring. I still need new rear tires so I'm trying to get them to hold out until then.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only thing I MIGHT suggest though. Especially if you have 2WD. Get 275 wheels for the rear, and 255 wheels for the front. This way you can avoid having to run spacers or adjusting your steering radius (which sucks to begin with). Either that, or just "deal" with not being able to turn the wheel all the way with 275's or run spacers.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The only thing I MIGHT suggest though. Especially if you have 2WD. Get 275 wheels for the rear, and 255 wheels for the front. This way you can avoid having to run spacers or adjusting your steering radius (which sucks to begin with). Either that, or just "deal" with not being able to turn the wheel all the way with 275's or run spacers.

Agreed ...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Just thought Id let you all know steeda sells steering limiters for people running wider wheels and or tires up front. These militers prevent tire/rim rub on the swaybar.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Steeda, everytime I tried to call Steeda about those. They wouldn't sell them to me. They said that Shipping would be 4x's the price. Just to go to the local ford dealer and buy them. They are a ford factory part. I bought a set. But I sure as hell can't figure out where they go or how to put them on. They were only a couple of bucks at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I posted a couple of pics of how I "think" they work of EF. I think x24 was gonna give it a shot, but I don't know. Maybe one of you two wanna be guinea pigs?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
So we don't know for sure if that is it or not? That kinda makes sense to me. But I thought that they would go in somewhere between a bolt and something to space or limit the amount they travel. But like I said I looked a little and did not see real quick where they go. I will look more this spring when I put everything back on to see how they go. It is just nice to have them on for safty sake.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Not yet, that's what I'm assuming by the description someone got of the installion. Something like "cut the boot open and clip on the limiters to the rod, then clampt the boot back on with a tie wrap". Pretty much the same description I've seen for greasing up the inner tie rods.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I installed these wheel spacers in the front and they were just enough as John Vanek said to clear the front suspension. I have NO more rubbing!! I can turn the wheel all the way to the left or right and have no clearance issues. I haven't had any problems with the lugnuts loosening up or anything like that although I will check them every few hundred miles. I haven't even gone 50 miles yet on the spacers yet.

I don't see how these are unsafe at all to use, as long as you install them properly and make sure your lugnuts are always tight I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
That's great you have no more rubbing. I can tell you're happy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts