Explorer Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 Sport has a spring loaded wire type spare tire holder. How do I remove the spare?

(I'm in the process of lowering the rear)

·
Registered
107 Posts
on a related note i just stripped out the tool to lower the spare on Saturday, or even worse the clasp inside the 'winch'.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. I found the winch hole in the bumper. What a dumb mechanism that is. I'm trying to decide whether or not to put the spare back in for weight savings. I just don't want to cut loose easier with a lighter rear end.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yeah. ?I found the winch hole in the bumper. ?What a dumb mechanism that is. ?I'm trying to decide whether or not to put the spare back in for weight savings. ?I just don't want to cut loose easier with a lighter rear end.

For the maybe...40 pounds or whatever that you might save, you will thank yourself when you get a flat and have an immediate fix. Put it back on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i had mine off since putting the ee sways on, the spare is back on now, my truck is a daily driver as most here are... weight savings is negligable on a 4k lb truck from my experience. can anyone notice a difference w/o the spare and perhaps on an almost empty tank of gas? fishtail easier? hhmmmm...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts