Explorer Talk banner

Sporatic Reverse Issues

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  backdraft 
#1 ·
:canada:

:newbiex:

:angry:

I have searched this site, and cannot seem to find a similar issue.....here it goes....hopefully someone has some suggestion:

History:

I bought the truck for a winter rig (to park the Beemer winter) a few months ago. It was parked for a few months. The truck had the typical shifting hard from 1st to 2nd issues with the 5R55E. I replaced the valve plate and gaskets, new filter and oil.

Worked fine for a few days until it started pouring transmission fluid out of the intermediate servo cover!

Picked up a new servo and servo cover and fastening clip, had that installed in a garage as I was tired of being on my back trying to work on it (plus it's jammed against the exhaust...not much room for my hands ).

Got the truck back from garage, and the damn thing won't move in reverse when transmission is at operating temperature...

QUESTION????

I am HOPING it is just the reverse servo!

When I drove it home from garage, it moved in reverse for the first few times. Later same day, when put in reverse it wouldn't move at all.

I managed to limp it home best kind (shifts great in all forward gears). Truck has been parked in my driveway the last few days. I just started it up to move into my garage so I can jack it up and take a look at it, and I tried the reverse....WORKS FINE!

I don't want to take a chance driving it until I resolve this issue.

It seems that the reverse band is okay. Am I correct in assuming the reverse servo is bad?????

I am after spending a small fortune in Mercon V oil, and before I drop the bottom pan on the the tranny I would like an idea to what to look for.

After all the work has been done, transmission has no reverse when transmission fluids warm up.

Before I started this whole repair project, the transmission worked fine in reverse, the only issue I had was 1st/2nd shifting stemming from the valve gasket (This has been fixed)

The leak from intermediate servo cover came after (Fixed with new intermediate gasket/servo/cover)

No reverse when fluid warms up

Replaced rear inside servo mechanism and gasket

Still no reverse!

Is it possible there is dirt or debris in the veins in the valve body? Would one of the hydraulic actuators bad on the valve body?

Should I just buy a new valve body and take a chance that nothing else is worn in the transmission?

Or should I pick up a (hopefully) working transmission from a scrap yard?

Any constructive help would be great

Rick

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.