Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Must have gotten lost. The install isn't really hard. I think it would be a good mod for you to do. If I can get off my ass and mod my spare sport cluster, I will have one for sale here. Don't count on me doing that anytime soon though. haha

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, thanks for the offer. I need one in KPH though...

Taking apart the dash and stuff shouldn't be a problem, I've done that before, I just need to know how to change the numbers on the odometer and stuff...

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
It's a delicate task, and you will have to recalibrate the speedometer(install needle while driving). Regards,

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a delicate task, and you will have to recalibrate the speedometer(install needle while driving). Regards,

Ah! Sounds scary, lol. Well, hmmm, I wanna do this but I don't know about that...ha.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The whole cluster comes apart in three pieces. Are you just swapping the face plate, which is somewhat simple? The speedometer needle has to come off to swap those unless an aftermarket piece is different. Why would you think of changing the odometer, unless you changed the whole speedometer? I'm missunderstanding something.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Don, I think I may be able to clear some things up here. He wants the factory white face gauges, but wants to have the correct mileage when he switches clusters. He can keep his original mileage by installing his old odometer in the new cluster, but it would require removal of the speedo needle, so as you said, he would have to install it while driving.

I am wonder if all the wiring changes between 95 and 2002 will effect this swap at all. You may have to remove all your needles Myles and just swap the gauge faces themselves. A complete cluster swap would result in a lot of stuff going wrong I would think.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Well then, just change the face then. The speedometer and odometer attach to the front face plastic portion, with three screws. The faces should be interchangeable, other than maybe the warning indicators(4x4, ABS, airbag etc). So the donor is a 2002 Sport cluster then? Regards,

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, I am not sure what year it will be, but it will be 01-03 to get the white face ones. The warning lights changed a lot between 95 and the 01+ sports along with the wiring.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If you don't want to mess with sport faces, there are plenty of white gauge kits on eBay, etc. Most of them are white faces with el-glow or reverse glow. If you don't want the glow, just don't hook it up. The only thing is you have to make sure that the one you get has all the indicator lights that your stock gauges have.

·
stop your whining
1,725 Posts
If you don't want to mess with sport faces, there are plenty of white gauge kits on eBay, etc. Most of them are white faces with el-glow or reverse glow. If you don't want the glow, just don't hook it up. The only thing is you have to make sure that the one you get has all the indicator lights that your stock gauges have.

Personally, I find that nothing looks like OEM. The quality of the faceplate and the gels are MUCH higher than the cheap stuff from eBay. I almost went that route and am glad I didn't. I also think the glow thing looks goofy, but that's just me.

Best method for me was to leave the city and find some quiet country roads to do it on. Straighter the better. Lots of stopping and starting involved too. I like to make sure highway cruising speeds are bang on. First time I tried this I did it in the city and tried to set up at lower speeds and it was close. I got out on the highway and I was 4-5 km/h off.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, I guess I wasn't quite sure I was getting into, lol. Maybe I'll leave this mod for later on...

Definitely something I'd like to do someday though...

·
stop your whining
1,725 Posts
Hmm, I guess I wasn't quite sure I was getting into, lol. Maybe I'll leave this mod for later on...

Definitely something I'd like to do someday though...

Sheesh. It's not that hard.

·
stop your whining
1,725 Posts
Ha, I'm a rookie. I'll go for some car audio or something...

I found swapping out gauge faces way easier than properly wiring my system. WAY more work goes into make sure you've run the wires property or at least it should.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Well said Brian, the whole set of comments. It is a matter of choosing the right parts to start with, and being very careful with all of it. Be patient Myles, and do it when you are ready. Regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
What happened to this thread? Was it lost during the switch? I'd like to learn how to do this...
Details & links on removing instrument cluster & replacing bulbs at

1 - 20 of 20 Posts