Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while back I spray painted my bumper white, thinking it would look good on my truck.. WRONG. it looks horrible, and doesn't match at all. Now I just want to get it back to its original grey color (I have a 98 mountaineer). Now I only put 1 layer of white spray paint, and I was wondering what grit sand paper to use to sand it down to the original grey color of the bumper? I'm asking the grit because I don't want to sand too much and end up sanding the grey paint of the bumper. Thanks.

[attachment=7200:attachment]

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was but then I thought about it and figured I'd wait until I completely sand it all down, and take it to a shop because I want the grill, front bumper, rear bumper, and sides of the truck all the same color as the truck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't know anything about PrepAll, it may work well. If it doesn't this is how to sand it. If it is a fairly light coat, nothing less than 1000 grit wet/dry. I would try 1500 first and see how that does. Once it gets down to the gray use 2000 grit and then buff it for the shine again. It will be a fair amount of work though. Good luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before I try any of this, I'm taking a powerwasher to it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
This is a real OhSH$T project!!

Try the Prepall or there is another product called Goof off you might try.

Paint stores have it. You might also try a graffiti remover.

Sanding is going to cut through the grey vinyl if you are not super careful.

Sorry but this one is going to be one of those lessons.

Good Luck.

NWnLow

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try the Prepall or there is another product called Goof off you might try.

Paint stores have it. You might also try a graffiti remover.
Goof off is HORRIBLE. That does not work at all, I never recommend it. I will be trying that prepall though, hope it works. If not, anyone have a bumper for sale?

·
Registered
799 Posts

This is what it may end up being.

Either that or your arm getting a work out sanding that baby down.

NWnLow

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hopefully you used crappy paint because that should come off with the right chemical. The factory paint is very durable and will not be affected by most chemicals.

You may be screwed on this. You can always spray it sorta like factory until you get the cash for a professional paint job.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
i would use acetone, or paint thinner, carefully, it will be messy but will work, ive used acetone to strip a spray paint job off my 85 VFR, and then painted it with real paint and it came out great

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about purple power degreaser? I heard its so powerful that you shouldn't get it near paint because it might strip the paint off

We're not talking about a small area here. Goof off will do nothing.
I'm talking about goof off in general. I had to remove adhesive and I tried that, worked like **** and then I used 3M and that worked like a charm.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hell, I know brake cleaner takes cheap paint off extremely well!!! It may hurt the base color though. Try it on an inconspicuous spot on the bumper and see what it does.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
do you know what type of paint you used when you sprayed it?

You should be able to use thinner to wipe the paint back off, you wont be able to sand it off without causing damage to the original color. If the original color is factory then paint thinner shouldnt hurt the finish, just do small areas at a time, dont let the thinner soak is one spot too long.

If you didnt sand the old paint then the pressure washer might work.

You can also stop by a body shop and have them look at it and see if they have a safe way to remove the white paint.

Good luck

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
do you know what type of paint you used when you sprayed it?

You should be able to use thinner to wipe the paint back off, you wont be able to sand it off without causing damage to the original color. If the original color is factory then paint thinner shouldnt hurt the finish, just do small areas at a time, dont let the thinner soak is one spot too long.

If you didnt sand the old paint then the pressure washer might work.

You can also stop by a body shop and have them look at it and see if they have a safe way to remove the white paint.

Good luck
I used just 1 coat of krylon, no sanding, no priming. I'll try a powerwasher tomorrow, I tried gasoline (hey, worth a try), and it looked like it was almost coming off. If this doesn't work, i'll get the paint thinner.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
you should be able to remove it with thinner if you used krylon, it might take a while to get it to come off and you will have a mess but you should be able to get it all off without damaging the original paint.

Thats the same stuff I used on the back of my Mustang, just in case I want to remove it. I did use a red scuff pad but I can buff the scratches out (I don't plan on removing the paint anyway but I know it will come off. LOL)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Argg i really hope that paint thinner works because I'm really mad I did what I did. Damnit!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts