Explorer Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John I think I saw them in the catalog but my son destroys anything with pages. Anyone know if they have the stainless brake lines to replace the rubber ones? I do a lot of hard braking around these Belgian drivers one minute superfast next super slow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
both Russell and Goodbridge (i think that's the manufacturer) have discontinued production on kits, i had ordered recently. I think they were faulty or mis-spec'ed/wrong fit for our applications. I would love to hear some good news...?!?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry guys.........no good news on the steel braided brake lines. We were going to carry the one from Earls, but they never followed through. Then we tried other companies and they never worked, incorrect fittings, size etc. I am that the steel lines are something that will probabaly never happen. You could go custom, but you are putting your life in the hands of whoever made them.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
This makes little sense. I want them also, and had them ordered over a year ago.

In 1988, I paid Russell $75 total for two custom lines for the front of my 1972 Ranchero.

There is something going on besides what everybody is thinking.

Good luck everyone, CDW

·
Registered
155 Posts
My guess is the liability issue. It is less likely that a company would make custom brake hoses now compared to 5-10 years ago. Everbody and their brother is worried about getting sued. I had actualy talked to a customer that had custom brake hoses made from another company and they failed! This is one item that you do not want to fail. Your life is in the hands of the person who makes that custom part. Just my take on it.

The other reason why you won't see companies produce them is the low demand. Not enough money in it I guess?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I was looking into this, and would love to get some for my truck. But I guess there is nothing to look forward to in this department, unless you get the Brembo kit like Troll has on his truck. That kit comes with SS lines ... but I wouldnt pay over 3k$ for them ....

·
Registered
107 Posts
custom lines...

http://www.raceshopper.com/russell_brake_lines.shtml

...advertises that they have ss lines for us, they don't...

...but, they will put together custom lines for us for $40-45 ea. (off memory here, so don't hold me to it) the kits that were offered for our trucks only included 3 lines, i believe they only included the soft line in the middle for the rear, plus the fronts. I count 5 lines total to do the entire job, guess the advantage in the rear would be negligable or unmanufacturable in ss. pretty expensive, i passed on it, and I agree w/ John V. as far as safety.

The problem w/ custom lines is down time since you have to send in your old lines for them to replicate.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Truckperformance. com says they have stainless braided lines for the X one made by russel the other stainless steel brake corp. The prices are a bit high but if it will get rid of the pump back I feel then they may be worth it.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Thanks for the source suggestion. The lines which I ordered over a year ago were Russel parts, and I haven't pushed them.

Stainless brake lines are to lessen flexing(expansion). That will increase potential brake power. It will probably increase sensitivity to ABS pulsing.

CDW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts