Explorer Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a beautiful 1996 XlT, and it is my main daily driver. Only 76,000 miles. It still looks brand new. But since it is a 1996, I have spent the last 2 years fixing and replacing all the rubber dry rotted vaccume lines and seals and bushings, I think I've about got it all done, except I have a new problem. V6 engine runs great, good power and no smoke and no leaks( fixed them all), but, now for the last 2 weeks, when I let off the accelerator peddle sometimes the engine dies, rpm's go straight to 0 and it stops running, I pop in in neutral and starts right up and away I go. It only does it when I take my foot off the gas to slow down to stop or turn, its a real PIA !, I'm getting ready to change the TPS and the IAC module and the CPS, do you think it is one of those causing this problem ? I get no CEL or anything, it just stops running. Any ideas would surely be welcome thanks guys for a great forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Come on, 31 views and no replies ? What's up with that ?
I had the same problem with my 95 xlt, turned out it was the egr valve. It had rusted through under the mushroom top, causing a big vacuum leak. Truck would lose idle at stops and deceleration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have now changed the EGR valve, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, idle control motor, cleaned the throttle body, and it still stalls out sometimes when I take my foot off the gas peddle. If I am quick I can mash the gas peddle and it will not stall. I have no vaccume leaks that I know of and I just don't know why it does this. I'm hoping someone out there has had this and can share what they did to fix it.
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
It could be numerous things that stall out your engine when you let off the gas. Vaccum leak, any number of components. You are going to get your hands on a scan tool, preferably one that is bidirectional. Only way you can pinpoint the problem, otherwise it will be a long and tedious diagnosis. I am in the same boat. I am going to buy a scanner. That’s why nobody is answering your thread, the possibilities for your condition are endless. Remember an engine needs three things to run: air, fuel and spark, one of those is your culprit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts