Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 1999 ford Explorer XLT with the 4.0 V6, with 250k miles on it. It has been my daily driver since I bought it with 148k miles on it. It has never given be a lick of trouble until recently. I came from work the other day and it started ‘bucking’ like it was running out of gas. Luckily, it died right in front of my house. I went to restart it, and it sputtered like no gas. There is over ¾ tank of gas. I went out the next morning and it started right up like nothing was wrong. I changed out the fuel filter because this was about the only thing I haven’t changed, and it started right up again. I also put in a bottle of ‘Heet.’ I drove it around today and it drove fine, plenty of power etc. I got about ½ mile from home and it did it again, acted up like it was out of gas, it would not restart, etc. I wound up having to get it towed home. Both times when this happened there was no ‘check engine’ light.
I guess my questions would be: has this happened to anyone else? If the fuel pump goes out, it goes out, it does not goes out intermittently? Could it be the fuel pump shut off switch under the dash going out? Could it be the ignition coil acting up?
Any ideas, suggestions, advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have a 1999 ford Explorer XLT with the 4.0 V6, with 250k miles on it. It has been my daily driver since I bought it with 148k miles on it. It has never given be a lick of trouble until recently. I came from work the other day and it started ‘bucking’ like it was running out of gas. Luckily, it died right in front of my house. I went to restart it, and it sputtered like no gas. There is over ¾ tank of gas. I went out the next morning and it started right up like nothing was wrong. I changed out the fuel filter because this was about the only thing I haven’t changed, and it started right up again. I also put in a bottle of ‘Heet.’ I drove it around today and it drove fine, plenty of power etc. I got about ½ mile from home and it did it again, acted up like it was out of gas, it would not restart, etc. I wound up having to get it towed home. Both times when this happened there was no ‘check engine’ light.
I guess my questions would be: has this happened to anyone else? If the fuel pump goes out, it goes out, it does not goes out intermittently? Could it be the fuel pump shut off switch under the dash going out? Could it be the ignition coil acting up?
Any ideas, suggestions, advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
I have the same problem did you ever figure out what was wrong

1 - 2 of 2 Posts