Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steering Wheel off Center

Hi Guys,

2016 Limited. I hit a massive pot-hole and now the steering wheel is at around 1 oclock when going straight. No pulling in any way or vibrations, just the wheel is no longer straight.

Is this something I can correct myself?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
We'd need to know your mechanical abilities to know that. You'd need to jack it up and pull the wheel to inspect for damage (including bent parts). You might also need to pop the hood and look at the upper strut tower mount to see if it is now warped.

You may or may not be able to identify the damage. You may or may not have the experience or willingness (and tools) to repair those component(s).

Depending on what it is, you may need a front end alignment done afterwards, or even beforehand to identify what's out of spec.

You could even have a warped or cracked wheel, and tire damage. I would inspect everything carefully before driving it again and try to limit miles driven because whatever it is, is probably screwing up at least your toe alignment and that'll wear tires out fast. It probably is not just a matter of adjusting the steering end link to correct toe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts