Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I found a company that makes steering wheel overlays in simulated carbon fiber, wood, and more. I was going to have Phoenix Imaging do a wheel for me but the price of this I can't turn down, its a fraction of the cost, and quite honestly I just don't want to deal with the clowns at Phoenix Imaging anymore.

I know its a small picture but here's what it looks like on a Mustang:

Here's a closer shot from a Dodge wheel :roll:

You can go here to order the wheel overlays:

http://www.exoticwooddash.com/swford.htm

They are $53, cover more than the wheels from Phoenix Imaging would anyway, and like I said cost a fraction of the price. No hassle or months without your parts either. I'm pretty sure at this point I'm going to sell my other interior parts as well that I got done from PI *pending* I find out from a company whether or not their interior pieces are REAL carbon fiber or not. Who knows, we'll see...

Obviously this wheel wouldn't be real carbon fiber but I'm not sure if I'd want real carbon fiber anyway for the wheel.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Tell 'em, Rob. FIGHT THE POWER!

Those overlays look just as good if not better.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Those are just the grant wheel overlays.

They are only 42.99$ from www.truckperformance.com So why pay 53$ when u can save 10$ more :)

Also.. im confused about what yer saying about yer PI parts. Have u not received any of the peices yet? And you plan on getting rid of all the peices they did and going with something else??? im confused.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I did receive the parts, but I am trying to find out if a company's dash/interior parts that TruckPerformance.com carries are REAL carbon fiber pieces, or just simulated carbon fiber. I believe they are from a company called "Florida Auto....(something)"...

Thanks for the truck performance link, I will have to order it from them.

If the other interior pieces Truck Performance carries is real carbon fiber (its how it is advertised but I want to make sure) then I will sell my PI interior pieces. I really like the work I got done from PI of course, but I'd rather have real carbon fiber.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I know which kit you are talking about from truck performance. I know that they list it under "molded dash kits" but i dont think its going to be like what you are expecting. Its going to look like what those stupid wood dash kits look like - STICK ON strips. The process for molding CF into proper shapes is quite expensive, and i dont think they could offer a dash kit made of real CF for that price.

I think you would be happier with your PI peices. But the wheelcover, definatly go with that. 30 dollars vs 150 for the PI wheel(after core exchange)

See here is an exploded parts list diagram for that dash kit, u can see from this that these parts arnt molded. They are simple 2D flat peices of CF that will stick on yer stock plastic parts and they will always look like stick on peices and never give the appearence that they were meant to be their. (but they will be real carbon fiber :) )

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See here is an exploded parts list diagram for that dash kit, u can see from this that these parts arnt molded. They are simple 2D flat peices of CF that will stick on yer stock plastic parts and they will always look like stick on peices and never give the appearence that they were meant to be their. (but they will be real carbon fiber :) ) ?

Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. I don't care if these parts are "stick-on"...if its REAL carbon fiber and not simulated carbon fiber then I am all for it. I didn't think that the pieces were actually going to be replacement parts made out of carbon fiber....as long as these "stick on parts" are made out of real carbon fiber then I am going to buy the whole kit.

Only thing is I'll need to also get a kit for a 2001 Sport/Sport Trac because I have the 2001+ center console.

·
Registered
171 Posts
TFN Rob, I see what u r going for now. Well, if u find out these are indeed true CF peices and order the kit, id be interested in buying the PI door handle peices from u.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. Did you ever get any of your interior pieces painted blue to match your exterior btw? I remember when you first registered here I think you mentioned you had that idea. Was just wondering what you ever decided on doing.

Also, how do you like the Lund Windjammer, overall. I keep telling myself I am going to hold out for the X-Spec Wing, but I can only wait so long. Let me know how satisfied you are with it. They are less than half the price they were when I first got my Explorer and I find them now for sale for $65. To me that'd be a really low "loss" if I ended up not liking it. Even though they come black I'd paint mine black anyway to give it more gloss and shine rather then just that plastic black look.

·
Registered
171 Posts
OK. Did you ever get any of your interior pieces painted blue to match your exterior btw? I remember when you first registered here I think you mentioned you had that idea. Was just wondering what you ever decided on doing. ?

Also, how do you like the Lund Windjammer, overall. I keep telling myself I am going to hold out for the X-Spec Wing, but I can only wait so long. Let me know how satisfied you are with it. They are less than half the price they were when I first got my Explorer and I find them now for sale for $65. To me that'd be a really low "loss" if I ended up not liking it. Even though they come black I'd paint mine black anyway to give it more gloss and shine rather then just that plastic black look.

I did actually have my interior stuff painted to match. I had the center console stuff done (kleenex dispenser, cup holders, storage bin peice), The Radio Bezel, and the guage bezel. I didnt have anything else done because i didnt want too much blue. I think those CF door handle peices would look good because of the other black stuff in my interor (ie steering wheel, center consol armrest etc).

Here are some pics:

As for the Lund Windjammer... I like it and dislike it. The ONLY thing i dont like is the seam where it mounts, but you will get that with any add-on wing. I think that the lundwindjammer looks great once its been painted. Having it painted keeps it from looking like a stick on peice of plastic. Ive never gotten any negative comments on it, everybody i talk to asks where i got it, and how much. It serves zero purpose in terms of keeping the back window clean, but thats not why i bought it. I think i paid 60 for the peice and then +/-40$ for my body shop to paint it. So 100 dollars isnt too bad. So if you bought it u would be out minimal amounts of cash if u decided to take it off IF/WHEN the X-spec wing comes out.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow that looks fantastic man. Looks purple in most of those interior pictures but you can tell obviously it is not. Great job. So how much did all of that set you back?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow that looks fantastic man. Looks purple in most of those interior pictures but you can tell obviously it is not. Great job. So how much did all of that set you back?
Yeah the purple is a result of the pictures being taken at night. (hard to get daytime shots in the winter up here in northern oregon because its gets dark at friggin 430pm)

It actually matches the exterior perfect ( a medium blue). It cost me around 100 dollars, i dont keep track of prices that well because if i did, i might shoot myself knowing how much i actually spend on my truck. My problem is i keep getting things painted instead of everything at once!

I got my wing painted blue initially ( thats the first paint work i ever had done on this truck) Then when i backed into a tree, i used it as an excuse to get my truck monotoned, then i went in for the interior painting, Now i have to back again for the EE grill/airdamn, some engine stuff, the mirrors and wiper cowl.. by the times its all over i probably could have gotten a a whole new paint job

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$100 to paint those interior pieces isn't bad at all though. I actually expected a higher price. Your plans sound great though, I can't wait to see the rest of your stuff done.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, I saw a steering wheel cover at WalMart tonight that matches the stock wood grain pieces in my X. It'll really break the bank at $8.00, though. Now that's my kind of mod.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn, well that's not good to hear Tommy. Then again, thanks for bringing this to my attention! You just saved me a lot of money and hassle. Looks like now I need to stick with god damn Phoenix Imaging....except I'm going to go with another company that does the same thing...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Tommy...for the dash pieces though, what does it include? Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
rob, i'd keep the PI pieces. way more custom and perminant, whether it's real cf or not. i thought your interior looked incredible! -just my 2 cents.
:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts