Explorer Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just for a little while...

I had all hell break loose under the hood the other night coming home from a joy ride in the mountains. I was on one of those 2 lane roads at 8,000 feet, and no where close to being around civilization.

A fan blade broke, cut the belt, the belt wrapped all over everything, and the Eaton pulley cracked. Luckily I had another belt behind the back seat, and out of shear luck I had my new pulley in the glovebox. After about an hour, I had the fan off, new belt on, and new pulley on.

Now, I have another problem with the pulley. The shaft on the nose snout has eaten it, and the pulley wabbles (sp?) on the shaft. I got in touch with Dave Vanek, and he got me in touch with Magnuson. They do not sell the snout and shaft separately, so it looks like I will be sending in the Eaton to get repaired....

Oh these fun days....... :roll:

·
Registered
39 Posts
that sucks man.. luckily u had the belts with you. i just did a drive from buffalo ny to houghton michigan, and the f250 diesel pulling the snowmobile trailer had the serpentine belt rip to shreds at 2am on a sat night. we ended up driving 45 miles to an autozone, waited in the car and slept till 10am till they opened and bought a belt.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Holy crap. Good thing you had some extra belts. Do you always carry them with you? I've never heard of a fan blade break but I guess it's possible. Anyway, glad you weren't totally stuck in the middle of no where.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy crap. ? ?Good thing you had some extra belts. ?Do you always carry them with you? ?I've never heard of a fan blade break but I guess it's possible. ?Anyway, glad you weren't totally stuck in the middle of no where.

Yeah - I always carry an extra serpentine belt behind the back seat. Just for this reason. On the older cars that had 3 belts, you could always take one off the a/c and use in a pinch - but with a serpentine - you're screwed. The other supercharger pulley saved me. Just dumb luck that was in there...

Actually, I was stuck in the middle of nowhere!
Its funny to be stuck in complete darkness, 30 miles from any town. and know the only tools you have are a Craftman emergency tool kit, pair of pliers, and a Mag Lite to use for light and as a hammer when needed...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, sounds like a party! ?Sorry to hear about that. ?So you gotta get a new snout? ?Or more parts as well? ?What caused the belt to go crazy?

LOL - party.... 8)

Tarrant at Magnuson said I could either send in the snout only or the entire charger. Didn't matter to him. I think I am going to send the whole thing in and let them 'touch it up' some while they have it. Even though I only have 40,000 miles on it, he said he could put new bearings, seals, etc in. Sounds like a good idea to me.....

I don't really know what broke loose first - the belt or the fan. But I am lucky it didn't tear too much more up. Could be in a position of having to go ahead and drop my new engine in...

·
Registered
384 Posts
I been there too with an old 89 stang the fan blade snapped off went right through the damn hood. I always carry the old serpentine belt behind the back seat just in case of course I don't leave home without a small tool kit anymore everytime I get a good distance away new car or not something bad happens and I need them. My wife bought me a portable starter pack for Christmas this year really nice I have used it about 15 times since then on other people's car's.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yes, on the serpentine belt, Susie. I have carried an extra one in every vehicle I've owned. Cobra's right: the older vehicles had more belts and you could substitute one of them. Newer cars, forget it.

Ahhhhh.......progress.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Susie - I personally would not leave without having a belt and a small pack of tools with me. I am the type though - I hate anyone else working on my ride but me - and hate having to pay them do it. Some people would just as soon call AAA and ahve it towed to the nearest shop. Then grab themselves a rental car.

I have a spare serpentine behind the seat, then under the seat, I have a set similiar to this:

Mine is more just tools, but basically the same. Then there is another small box with electric tape, fuses, wire, a couple of nuts and bolts, etc. Everything I carry fits under the rear left seat. Even a portable air pump for the cigarette lighter...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My hubby carries a small box in his F-150 as well...but he's like me, call AAA and have it towed to the Ford dealer. But of course his warranty is running out next month. Luckily we have found an honest mechanic that works for himself. He has worked on all our cars/trucks for the past 14 years. He even worked on the '73 Buick Century Luxus we just sold....I hated to part with that thing, but someone needed to get some good use out of it, it only had 98K original miles on it. Good "labomba" car....low rider.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the ultimate mob car at my parents.

1978 Lincoln Continental - 460 under the hood, white with blue interior. 38,900 original miles!!!! Its my grandmother's car and she won't part with it.

They haven't made a parking space large enough for this car since 1985...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll give them a call. If he can port it, plus replace the shaft.... :!: I'm all up for that....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts