Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John, i've heard you've been working on a new supercharger, and i'm curious on if this is true, if you remember from our discussions i wanted to do it, but without a dyno it's hard to calculate how pulley size effects horsepower and the fuel mixture.

So whats the deal? Is it true about the pulley? (keep in mind i am now an administrator here, and i will edit what you say in other threads if you don't respond quickly) J/K, but i could though. But I don't want to abuse my power until the second week on the job. :devilgrin:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
oh god...what have i done...what have i done... :roll:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, ok, i was just messing with John and i promise not to miss use my power period.

Joe

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey Joe, with your history I am suprised that you got the job................just kidding! You are the coolest (not only because you have an X-Charger!). This web site needs at true Ford power guy that is not full of b/s. I know from talking to you, that you do know what you are talking about. I know you won't ban somebody for showing their knowledge or for having an opinion that is different from yours.

The new supercharger is for the V6 4.0 SOHC. A pulley upgrade for the 5.0 X-Charger is very possible. It will require a host of upgrades. The same stuff we have talked about in the past. Which would include 30lb injectors, 80mm Mass Air Sensor, High Pressure Fuel Pump and a custom chip. When that is all done you will have to think about working over yours transmission (something else we have talked about). Your stock tranny will not take the extra power for very long.

You can go to a 2.45" pulley but it will definitely ping in stock trim (we tried it!). The Pulley Boys (www.pulleyboys.com) can custom make you one for a reasonable price. But you have to start the domino effect of upgrades. The extra money spent would be worth going to th next level of performance. Brian at Apten would help you with the tuning. He is great to work with.

Try to stay out of trouble Joe!

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a feeling, but now at least i have the pulley size, i have the rest of the mods planned but when added up, along with the AWD dyno run that brian suggests it will cost: 160 for the meter (lightning meter 90mm), i have the injectors, 250 for the chip, 100 for the fuel pump, then another 250 for the first dyno session (awd dynos are not cheap). then pulley cost, which i assume is about 125-150.

John, what are your thoughts on adding the pulley, and getting a chip, but having brian turn the fuel pressure up?

Oh and in that first post, first sentence i left off the word "pulley". doh

I wasn't really asking about the new supercharger, i already new about it. My bad.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Brian can change the fuel injector pulse duration through a computer chip. But he can not do anything for the fuel pressure. The high flow injectors need more fuel, the best way to do that is with a different pump.

I am looking forward to you doing this project. Let me know how I can help.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
OK John - I'm jumping in over here also. Have you gotten any numbers yet? I've already done the 24lb injectors (going to 30 after X-Mas) , Lightning pump, adj. pressure regulator, etc. I'll play guinea pig if you need someone.....

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you are running the X-Charger on the 5.0 Explorer you could try the 2.45" pulley for about $90. I would recommend upgrading to a 75mm or 80mm Mass Air Sensor if you have not done that yet. You will have to have the MAF sensor calibrated for the 30lb injectors. A custom Aten chip would be strongly recommended.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I've got a ProM80mm mass air now along with the Apten from Brian. Are you selling the pulleys now?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes the custom pulley is available by special order. My boy Ronnie B. is running a 2.3" pulley as is achieving a peak boost of 8psi. Keep in mind he has a Mustang bottom end with 9 to 1 compression ratio. I think the 2.45" pulley would be good enough.

Give me a call at 888-397-5673.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John,

quit posting this stuff, i'm making my best effort to not spend any money for a couple of months and you are not helping.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
John - expect a call Monday on the pulley. As a matter of fact - you can go ahead and get one boxed up if you want...

Well - hold on before boxing it up - let me see which size I want.

If he is getting roughly 8 on the 2.3 - what are you getting on the 2.45?

Don't worry about Joe - he is still trying to figure out how to get his front driveshaft out....

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, i'm taking that MF'er out, to see what it does.

Dave i spoke with john yesterday about the pulley, the motor that has the 2.3 on it has different compression. So he suggests the 2.45.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The 2.45 will probably work good for this engine, even after I get the E303 and rockers, etc, installed. I was getting ahead of myself - looking at the crate engine I have sitting in the basement waiting on this one to quit...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
OK Joe - I finally got the pulley ordered from John...

Your turn...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
John V or Joe -

What is the easiest way to change the pulley? I have been out of town and won't back until this weekend, but my wife said all the parts arrived, along with the pulley. I want to get it changed this weekend if possible.

I have not looked real hard at the pulley, so I have not seen what it will take to get it off - a pulley kit?!?!?

8)

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the pulley is on with a "key" possibly meaning just leave the belt on, and unbolt the nut, and slide it off, i don't think you'll need a pulley puller. But i could be wrong.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The s/c pulley is on pretty tight. You will most likely need a puller. We use a small "bearing splitter" rather than a hook style puller. We also recommend starting of by removing the belt. It is just easier that way. The key is built into the snout. Fairly easy deal once you get the pulley off. It only takes us about 3 or 4 minutes.............J/K! More like 30-40 minutes. No biggie.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The s/c pulley is on pretty tight. You will most likely need a puller. ?We use a small "bearing splitter" rather than a hook style puller. ?We also recommend starting of by removing the belt. It is just easier that way. The key is built into the snout. Fairly easy deal once you get the pulley off. It only takes us about 3 or 4 minutes.............J/K! ?More like 30-40 minutes. No biggie.

You know John, you could of just agreed with me, i prefer being right, even if i'm wrong

1 - 20 of 26 Posts