Explorer Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't normally raise a big fuss over a buck or two, but this one really got my goat.

I am guilty of having way too many things going on most of the time, and in an effort to faithfully maintain my X, I have on numerous occasions resorted to "Instant Oil Change" places, even though they aren't cheap, and the trained monkeys always manage to drip oil all over the engine compartment. In fact, today I visited one, named after a major brand of oil whose name starts with "V", for the fourth time.

After the last time I was there, I noticed they had charged me for seven quarts of oil, plus an upcharge for 5W20 oil. Not having ever seen a small displacement gasoline engine that used that much oil, I was curious. Sure enough, Owner's Manual states that 4.6L engine oil change, with filter change, requires SIX quarts of oil. Since all the receipts are conveniently located in the glove box for the perusal of whoever steals my truck, I flip through the stack. The dealer changed it once, using six quarts of oil @ $1.49/qt. BRAND "V" had charged me for seven quarts twice, and 6.5 quarts once. Their price - $1.93/qt.

So, today when I pull in there, the girl asks if all I need is an oil change. I ask her how many quarts she's going to charge me for, because my truck only takes six, and the last 3 times, she's charged me for 7. She asks me if its a 4.6L or 5.4L. Well, if it were possible to get a 5.4 in an X, I'd probably have one. We decide its a 4.6. She says, without actually checking, her computer says it takes 6 1/2 quarts, and they shouldn't be charging me for 7. I show her the manual where it says 6, and the receipt from the dealer where I paid for 6. She decides that if I WANT, they can put exactly six quarts in for me, but it won't be full. I say we should give that a try and see what happens.

They start the service. The tech guy asks about my K&N filter, wants to know what kind of exhaust I'm running, because he thinks it sounds really great, asks if I'm running a chip - yada, yada, yada. Miss Customer Relations loudly proclaims several times that they need to bring up EXACTLY six quarts of 5W20 for Bay 1. Tech guy pours the oil, I fire it up for a minute, he waits about 25 seconds for all that oil to drain down to the pan, and pulls the dipstick. He brings it back and shows it to me. And this guy, who hasn't been in on the previous discussion of rated capacity tells me, "Well, I put 5.75 in, and it reads a little low. I politely tell him it takes SIX. He says he has them bringing up the other 1/4 of a quart. He dumps in ONE MORE CUP of oil, and decides that "the longer it sits, the closer to the mark it gets, and we're good to go."

Meanwhile, Joe Asst. Manager is doing the paperwork. He brings me a clipboard, and tells me its $42.18. Sure enough, $42.18 includes SEVEN quarts of 5W20 Durablend. I try to very politely inform him of my talk with the girl about the SIX quart oil capacity, and he goes all ballistic on me because now he has to do a credit. The girl asks four different guys if my truck took EXACTLY six quarts of oil. They process a credit, make me sign three different receipts to straighten it out, and lose one customer.

I go home shut it down, let it sit for half an hour, and the oil level reads just slightly over the full mark. With EXACTLY six quarts of oil.

Its more subtle than the overpriced breather element, with the additional charge for installation, that they usually try to pull. But if you multiply my $1.93 times how many cars even one store services in a day, much less a national chain, that turns in to a pretty sizable chunk of change. And after a five minute discussion of how much oil is required, they still try to charge me for 7 quarts, and cop serious attitude with me because I don't pony up.

So, how many quarts of oil is everybody else using? Need to make sure I'm not crazy before I talk to the Better Business Bureau.[/b]

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow sounds like they are BSing people. I don't have a 4.6 in my X (although I wish I did) but they should know not that it doesn't take 7 quarts of oil. I think they know it takes 6 but charge people for 7 because most people wouldn't know 'cause they never look at the paperwork or in the owner's manual. I guess from now on you are going to go to the dealer who usues the correct amount and a cheaper price? I would. At least you got your truck back without it over filled. Congrats on showing them who's boss.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow Susie I wish my Lincoln/Mercury dealer who services my X had that Blue Line Service. Kind of sucks when I take it in for an oil change at 8 am and it's barely finished at around 4 pm. But I can't complain much 'cause I love that dealer I go to.

·
Registered
418 Posts
6 is on the manual BECAUSE THAT'S MORE THAN ENOUGH to fill the engine. I've changed my oil since day 1 (well 3000 miles) and NEVER used more than 6 quarts. I use Amsoil for my X and nothing else. And it doesn't burn a lot of oil either. So even during maintainence checks and top offs, it still won't reach 6 quarts. Sorry my friend, but you are not Crazy... (well i guess that's a good thing)

EDIT:

btw, I will be changing my oil this week. (as soon as the "quick change oil valve arrives. you know, the one with an "on-off" lever) I will double check EXACTLY how much oil I use. pics too if you want! I hate it when other people pretend to know more about my Explorer than I do!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry my friend, but you are not Crazy... (well i guess that's a good thing) ?

You give me way too much credit!! Lets just say I'm not crazy in reagrds to that one particular item.

Yep, after the certified EXACTLY six quarts they put in Saturday, when left to settle properly, its just slightly over full.

I thought about turning one of those "hard working investigative reporters" with the hidden cameras loose on them, but I don't know if its worth being that much of a prick. The part that really got me was that even after she gave me the BS story that "our computer says 6 1/2" and that they NEVER should have charged for seven quarts, ten minutes later they tried to do it again. I just feel sorry for all the "automotively-challenged" folks who go into those places and tell them to "do whatever it needs", and end up getting their tranny fluid, anti-freeze, differential oil, and every filter on the car changed every 3,000 miles just because they don't know any better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Survey - How many quarts does YOUR 4.6L take? (Long stor

Stuff like this bugs me.

I should probably put this in the 2nd Gen (but consider this in general) ............ but how many quarts should a 2001 V6 take ? Manual says 5. I put in 5, but it doesn't come all the way to the full mark on the dipstick. I have no reason to belive the individual bottles were 'low'. So do I go purely by the dipstick and add ? Or make a mental note of where its now at and condider that the 'full' line ?

Dave

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
[voice from above]

CHANGE OIL YOURSELF....CHANGE OIL YOURSELF...

[/voice from above]

I know, you said you're busy. It's just that this is the type of thing that happens when you go to one of those places.

Short version of a story involving one of my fathers business trucks: Took it to a quick lube place that will remain nameless (I don't want to trash Jiffy Lube, you know), a screw of some sort fell/broke off of their oil filler line, got into the engine, end of engine. They bought him a new engine.

I've pretty much always changed my own oil since I learned how at the age of 17, save maybe 2-3 times (not recently). I simply don't trust anyone to do it, especially not a stealership. Besides which, I would NEVER spend 40-odd dollars on an oil change. I just changed mine on Saturday: 5qt. jug of Mobil1 and Motorcraft filter = $23.44, and that's synthetic oil. Not a criticism, btw. $42.18 is just a lot for an oil change.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK 'Voice from Above', you're probably right. I used to change my own oil most of the time. Obviously the cheapest. You know what went in and how much. You know who to yell at when there's a bunch of oil dripped down the valve cover onto the manifold. Its not as big a pain as rotating the tires, which I did yesterday. Getting rid of the old oil can be kind of a hassle, if you try to be environmentally conscious. I suppose it doesn't take THAT long. I'll think about it.

G

·
I do the same as you Wilson. I've never gone to a quick lube. I hope that I never have to! My sis on the other hand has to Take her Explorer to the dealership(they made her a great deal on it so she keeps giving them business). She would look kinda funny out in the parking lot of her apartment changing her *own* oil.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
She would look kinda funny out in the parking lot of her apartment changing her *own* oil.
I did it Saturday....I live in an apartment temporarily while my house is being built.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Heck, try yahking your tranny pan and valve body in a brand new apartment parking lot!!! Talk about messy! lol. The manager never forgave me for that one. hehe. I am just glad she was kind of sweet on me otherwise I might have been evicted because of it. Oh I forgot to mention that I did leave a puddle of tranny fluid about 4 feet in diameter on their new lot too. Maybe that was why she was soooo mad. Then every single rime after that wheneve I had my hood up doing this or that or installing the new intake on my new explorer they always zoomed back down there to see what I was doing to make sure I didnt mess anything else up. lol. Still was kind of funny, the look on thier faces when they was what I was doing. hehe.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My 5.4L engine in my F250 takes SIX quarts of oil. Why did the trained Monkey only use 5.75 quarts? Did he not read all the words in his manual or on his computer screen? SIX quarts in equal to 5.7 LITERS, maybe that was his confusion or did he just spill that much on your engine? None of which explains why they charged your for more oil than they put in the engine.

REDPEPR

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Yeah it really is dumb. They should know better. But, there's nothing you can do about it except stop going there.

redpepr welcome to ExplorerX!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Rocket: I'll be doing the same sometime soon. I'm waiting until just before I move to the new house (this is your advice, remember? don't do it on my new driveway
). I also didn't have to put down a security deposit so I don't have to worry about them keeping that. 8)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Rocket: I'll be doing the same sometime soon. I'm waiting until just before I move to the new house (this is your advice, remember? don't do it on my new driveway
). I also didn't have to put down a security deposit so I don't have to worry about them keeping that. 8)

Yeah I didnt put a deposit down either. But being that the managers were hot and I kind of wanted a better chance to score with them I tried to be on my best behavior. lol. Yeah definately dont change it on a new driveway unless you got alot of oildry handy or dont care what your drive looks like. cause most likely you will leave a puddle or two of fluid no matter how careful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
4.6 oil capacity

I have an 1999 E-150 conversion, which I bought new, and it has the 4.6 deep-pan (trans cooler addition, with the towing pkg.) It takes 7 quarts, inclusive of filter. I use 5w30 conventional, and have had NO motor problems, with 255,500 miles on it. I've had very little problems with ANYTHING on this vehicle. That's why I still have/drive it daily.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts