Explorer Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i mentioned this in another post, but i want to get 2 type r 12's in a ported box, what amp do i need? i thought about the jbl 1200.1 but i need a subsonic filter, and im clueless about audio, so i need some help here

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just replied to your other post. The 1200.1 is a lot of power for those subs but if you set the gain correctly and dont abuse the subs it should be ok( this is assumming your gonna buy the dual 4's). If you were to build a ported box tuned from 30 - 35Hz theres really no need for a subsonic filter. When your amp has a subsonic filter you usually set it 10Hz below tuning freq anyways. Most music dont even play that low so you'll be just fine. But if you want the 1200.1 and HAVE to have a subsonic filter, theres ones that you can buy that plug right into the RCA cables.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I dont really get your question. The amp doesn't require a subsonic filter, a box tuned around 40Hz would though. Did you check out the other thread?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea a guy on another board told me i couldnt use that amp on a ported box unless i had a filter, thats why i have that idea.... now ive changed my mind again, but for the final time, depending on if it will work with the box im going to run jbl 1200.1 amp with 2 adire shiva 12's in that box, im going back and forth between multiple posts and boards, thats why its all jumpy

·
Registered
98 Posts
yea a guy on another board told me i couldnt use that amp on a ported box unless i had a filter, thats why i have that idea.... now ive changed my mind again, but for the final time, depending on if it will work with the box im going to run jbl 1200.1 amp with 2 adire shiva 12's in that box, im going back and forth between multiple posts and boards, thats why its all jumpy

I have heard nothing but GREAT things about the shiva's. The JBL would be a great match with them too. Do you have any specs on xchics box? BTW what other boards did you post this on?

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you wanted to run 2 TypeR 12's off that amp w/ that much power, you would want to run them in a sealed enclosure. Subs in sealed enclosures, as a rule of thumb, can handle more power than the same subs in a ported enclosure. Im running my two 12" TypeR's off an RF1001bd w/ a birthsheet rating of 1180watts @2ohms. They handle the power just fine. I have gains turned way down, and the subs are in a sealed box w/ about 1cf a peice. They hit hard, tight and clean, I see no need to have them in a ported enclosure for my listening pleasure. I have no desire to compete for SPL #'s, thus no need for a ported box.. Then again, i was going to compete, i probably wouldnt be running Alpine TypeR 12's either.

SO my answer.. run em off the JBL 1200, but toss em in a sealed box.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive changed my mind once again, after talking to my friend that built a box and he said that he would help me build the box, so thats what im guna do, the other site i posted on was fxn

so heres the deal: custom ported box --> 2 adire shiva 12's --> 1 jbl 1200.1 amp --> RESULTS: PRICELESS

·
Registered
98 Posts
ive changed my mind once again, after talking to my friend that built a box and he said that he would help me build the box, so thats what im guna do, the other site i posted on was fxn

so heres the deal: ?custom ported box --> 2 adire shiva 12's --> 1 jbl 1200.1 amp

Well your gonna have a really nice system then. If you need any help with designing the box, just ask.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what would you set the specs up as, or recommendations, also should i buy the subs or wait till the box is done

·
Registered
98 Posts
what would you set the specs up as, or recommendations, also should i buy the subs or wait till the box is done

I would do a ported box tuned to 33Hz, 4 cubes after all displacments, with 40-50 square inches of port. I would also buy the subs first, that way when u cut the hole you know it will be the right size the first time.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you're going with the Shiva's, you really don't need two. Seriously consider that.

Look into Directed subs, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts