Explorer Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tailgate on my sisters explorer will not open. Neither will the glass. I'm pretty sure that I can fix it, but I have no idea how to get the tailgate to open so i can get to the lock mechanism.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Put plastic explosive around the entire edge of the tailgate and blow it open. That should do it.

Seriously, that's a tough one. I'll ask an obvious question first: Is it unlocked? When you pull up on the handle, it does nothing? No clicking sound or anything?

BTW, what year are we talking about here?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
When you say it "won't open", I think you really need to be more specific then that. Did she get rear ended? When was the last time it was working? Is anything jammed? Etc...

Welcome btw :D and hopefully we can all figure out a solution.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I'm betting the handle broke on the inside, and when he pulls the handle it has no resistance.

But also, i have no idea how to get it open either, has to be from inside only, or the truck would be super easy to break in to.

Tommorrow, i'll take a look inside mine, and if no one responds by then, maybe i will be able to see something.

EDIT: I also edited your title, because your name appears as ranger, and you speak of a tailgate, some memebers may not recognize the fact that you need help with an explorer not a ranger, and not read this.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I think I know how to fix the problem. In my 95 XLT, it was really hard for me to turn the handle to open the hatch and the glass. I took off the interior grey panel and took some WD 40 and grease and grease the latches and all the interior parts to the handle. It fixed my problem, its all due to ageing.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I think I know how to fix the problem. In my 95 XLT, it was really hard for me to turn the handle to open the hatch and the glass. I took off the interior grey panel and took some WD 40 and grease and grease the latches and all the interior parts to the handle. It fixed my problem, its all due to ageing.

But did you do all that without being able to open the hatch? If so, you should tell this guy how to. Because his hatch is closed, and it must opened to work on.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
WOW, that is a tough one. there is probably not much you can do, since there is no way to open it. You would probably have to pop the pannel off which can't be done without opening the hatch.
:

Put plastic explosive around the entire edge of the tailgate and blow it open. That should do it.

This seems like the best alternative.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when i say wont open i mean just that, the hatch will not open and neither will the glass, is there anyway i can unbolt and drill out the rivets on the outside remove the nadle and open it somehow from there??

also its a 2000 4 door

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I dont think you can, did you try to see if you can pull the trim panel loose from the inside? I dont know if you have any room to do it that way.

It sounds like the rod came off the handle and I dont know of any way to get into it from the outside.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm thinking the panel should come off on the inside. Unfortunately, I work until 8PM and I don't have anywhere to work on my truck or I'd look for you.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you go in your cargo area from the inside, look for the lock pin. Once you locate the locking pin sticking up, there is a plastic hole next to it, you have to pop the plastic part off. Now you can see down inside, spary WD 40 and grease it. I will try and get a pic if you can not figure it out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you go in your cargo area from the inside, look for the lock pin. Once you locate the locking pin sticking up, there is a plastic hole next to it, you have to pop the plastic part off. Now you can see down inside, spary WD 40 and grease it. I will try and get a pic if you can not figure it out

I don't think thats gonna do it. The handle seems to be totally disconnected from anything inside, and it seems that there is also a problem with the lock mechanism because the glass will not open either.

·
Registered
107 Posts
anything unusual when you hit the lock/unlock botton? my tailgate lock/unlock actuator broke before...? although it sounds like this is not the case here...

·
Registered
1 Posts
1999 rear tailgate locked

To get my rear gate open when the lock had broke I took the rear left licence plate light off, and then could see the locking mechanism bar, which I then used a pair of needle nose pliers to move from the left to the right which opened the door. After it's open you can then remove the panel to see what the problems are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts