Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as much as i love my clears I want something dufferent to switch up with every now and then....so got me a can of Testors "candy apple red" and i'm going to try some thing on my old stock tails.....

well here is some pic's... tell me what you think

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Looks awesome! Funny you did this because as soon as I hit NJ again I'm going to do this exact same thing to my tails. I even have the tint sitting at home. Nice job! Glad to see it came out great! You'd never know it was any other color. How many coats did you have to do? How long did you wait inbetween coats and for it to "cure?"

The instructions I have says wait at least 30 mins between each coat and wait at least 24 hours for it to fully cure. I don't know how accurate that was, so I'm curious what you did.
:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Oh, and as slick as that looks, this would look even better!

/media/ally.jpg

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
eXplorerchic, that looks great!!! That really makes your X different from everyone elses. Great job!!

Rob nice job on the photoshop!!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply guys.... I took them off and cleaned them with soap and water, masked off the parts I didn't want red and went to town. I did 3 coats of the Testors "candy apple red" (I waited 15mins between each). Then put about 2 coats of clear coat over the whole taillight. Let them set for bout 2 hours then put them on. Was sunny today and no rain in sight, so they'll be cured by morn. Yah i thought it turned out great....bye bye ugly amber :p

Oh and yah I like that "mod" to my X rob

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yah forgot, they blink great in the daytime.....just like the amber, just now its red when it blinks..... now i can't decide which "rear" I like better this one or with my clear's
: Whats a girl to do?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I really like the look of the red ones over the clears. But, it's your X and I know you'll do what you like best. Keep up the great work on your X!!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Cool. They look great.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
oh yah forgot, they blink great in the daytime.....just like the amber, just now its red when it blinks..... now i can't decide which "rear" I like better this one or with my clear's ?
: ?Whats a girl to do? ?

That is awesome..also cool to hear that it didnt take as long as the instructions said. I really can't wait to do this to my taillights! As soon as I hit NJ again for a break or whatever, I'm doing this first thing.

Ally I definitely think the red taillights look 100% better than clear tails. I've never been a fan of those on any Explorer generation. The only time it looked halfway decent was DefiantGuy's setup. But even still...meh.

I do think you should shave ur emblems but it looks hot either way. Really nice clean truck, Ally

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have got to say I am really impressed by this mod. It looks perfect. Looks like it could have come from the factory that way. Excellent work there girl! Might want to write up a little "how to" for the tips and advice forum (or whatever it is called, I can't remember :roll: ) That would be a good one to put in there.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I have got to say I am really impressed by this mod. ?It looks perfect. ?Looks like it could have come from the factory that way. ?Excellent work there girl! ?Might want to write up a little "how to" for the tips and advice forum (or whatever it is called, I can't remember :roll: ) ?That would be a good one to put in there.

There's already a writeup in our Guides section on our main site. The article can be found here:

http://www.explorertalk.com/modules.php?name=...=showpage&pid=3

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have got to say I am really impressed by this mod. ?It looks perfect. ?Looks like it could have come from the factory that way. ?Excellent work there girl! ?Might want to write up a little "how to" for the tips and advice forum (or whatever it is called, I can't remember :roll: ) ?That would be a good one to put in there.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
can this be done oon a 95 or 96? ..because they have the blackoutline on the tailights and inbetween the 3 different colors

1 - 20 of 31 Posts