Explorer Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please please please!!

does anyone know how to get tar from a newly paved road off of paint???

I cant stand seeing this black splash marks on my baby any longer!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
You may get nowhere, but I recommend calling the township and filing a complaint. In the meantime in terms of getting the tar off of your car, I've never been put in that position but there are several products in local car supply stores that remove bugs & tar from your paint. Give them a shot and good luck with getting that crap off!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have a ton of tar on my paint. I have been meaning to get some of that stuff, but I havent bothered yet.

I have new motivation because out Volvo XC-90 has a big tar spot on the hood now.

200 POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
WD40 works in a pinch. Follow it up with a good rinse and a coat of wax on the areas you applied the "juice".

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok update:

WD40- MILD success.. just made it lighter after 3 coats.

generic bug and tar remover- absolutely wasted.

still have the tar. Filed a complaint with the township and waiting for a response.

·
Registered
640 Posts
So what you are saying is that, although not 100% effective, the WD40 worked better than the actual "bug and tar remover"?

Try one of the products like "OOPS" or "GOO GONE". These are usually found in the hardware area of a Wal Mart etc.

Hell, maybe even kerosene would take it off??

maybe Wilson's baloney sandwich would do the trick.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yeah gasoline works very well in removing crap off your paint. But obviously you need to apply some very very thorough wax coats on your paint afterwards.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I'm with Rob. Gas is great but you better make sure to apply a lot of wax to the paint when done or you'll be sorry.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I tried the WD-40 too. It worked with some rubbing on the small specks, but the larger ones (2mm high) took longer. As long as it works, I am happy.

According to a Volvo operation and instruction manual, kerosene works too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts