Explorer Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as I explained in a previous post, I found two of my Speedline wheels on my X were cracked at the inside rim (barely but concerning) I decided to get some new ones. I found the rims on tirerack.com and ordered a complete set. The main difference were that the rims were lt. grey rather than white. I told the salesman at Tirerack what they were going on, he said ok, and shipped them. I took them to Firestone to have them mounted. Unfortunately, they discovered that the bolt circle was too large for my hubs, mine being 114.3mm and the rims being 120mm. Course I didn't figure this out until after they had mounted one of the tires and tried to fit it, thus making a $460 rim unreturnable. (Gotta love that). I returned the rest of the rims for a refund, talked to Tirerack who told me that Speedline does not make a rim currently to fit my X, and found an aluminum alloy version for around $650 for a complete set (for now) and hopefully will have them mounted and the truck back on the road early next week. I have located two used Saleen Speedline wheels for $850 for the pair, shipped, what do you guys think about the price?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
First off, why can't you return the last rim? You are obviously too polite on the phone.

Second, if you are spending 460 a rim, why not just buy a set from a new saleen mustang? Try the wheels on from your s281, either the fronts or the backs should fit, then just order 4 of the same. Have you tried that yet?

You may have to be more specific than speeline, because the rims on my mustang and explorer are speedlines but probably don't look like yours.

Also there is good saleen replicas on ebay, in white, black, and siver that should fit your truck, and i'm told saleen center caps will fit. They are less than 800 for the whole set. I believe explorerchic looked into them. I also have spoken with the guy several times, and he suggests they will support the weight of an explorer if you don't tow with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the conditions for returning the rims was that they had not been mounted. I cleaned up the rim that they did mount, but there are some deep puncture marks on the inside of the rims where the wheel machine attached. I did send it to Tirerack to check out, maybe I will luck out! I was going to go to Saleen for wheels, but they claimed to not have anything that would fit/work on the Explorer. The set that I did order was the set you mentioned, available in all colors, although they are not magnesium speedlines. I hate to not have the original equipment on the truck, but will have to wait and see what happens with the others I am looking for.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
From what i know, saleen just tells you not to put mustang wheels on explorers, but the rims on my xp8 are perfectly identical to the ones on my mustang except one set is chrome. They are only interested in sales to mustang owners, they don't want to be bothered with "will they fit on this" questions. I think regardless what happens you don't want the magnesiums, i think they are inferior for a 4500 lb vehicle. So even if you could get replacements they would crack too, i'd bet.

Call liz at team saleen and tell her your dilemma and ask her to speak to someone on the inside and see what mustang set are a proper replacement. The sales reps are clueless.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I would make tirerack.com take them back as the sales person told you they would fit and about calling Saleen listen to Joe as he knows his stuff, he call's all the time and Liz is his buddy

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Tommy, if she was my buddy she'd call back quicker, or answer the phone in the first place, so i didn't have to leave a message.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I still can't believe that a company such as Saleen has such poor customer service. John Vanek and Explorer Express put the "big boys" to shame.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do appreciate everyone's help here and the chance to blow off some steam....thanks for listening! If I become too much of a pain in the a%%, just let me know friends!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Nope, not at all! I hope to see you post around more often! Saleen XP8 owners need to represent!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts