Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few more pics of our recent addition. This will be the wifes ride since we traded her Wrangler in on it. 0.0% financing and several rebates put it about a grand under invoice, so I think we got a pretty decent deal. She loves the thing and I must admit I am jealous! The 3rd gen has such an incredible ride and feel!
At least I still get to enjoy it!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It had a double pinstripe which I reduced to a single for now. That will probably come off as well. I also want to yank the plate holder off of the front, but unfortunatly it will leave holes in the painted bumper. Since it is black I doubt it will be noticable. The truck will stay stock for awhile, but eventually I want to put rims/tires on it as well as a few small details. A Kitty Hawk Aviator wing might be nice addition.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I can't believe how much smaller the 2nd generation Explorers are compared to the 3rd, damn. Both trucks look beautiful though!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
His.

The new X looks great.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never realized how much larger the 3rd gens are either until I put em side by side. After you spend some time inside the two it becomes more obvious as well. My x actually feels small now compared to the new one! I really can't get over the level of quality and ride that the 3rd gens have compared to the older ones. I always thought my 98 felt solid and well built, but it just doesn't compare. Ford really is stepping it up and I can only imagine that the new F-150 is all they say it is. I've read that Ford is investing big dollars in interiors and when you look in some of the new stuff you can see it.

Thanks for the comp Rob, but in the pic mine is dirty as heck!
And of course I still haven't switched my rims out for Summer.

JSSONG: The Cobras mine but I think it owns itself since I never drive it! I've had it 4.5 years and haven't even put 4,000 miles on it. I should be shot!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
The Cobras mine but I think it owns itself since I never drive it! I've had it 4.5 years and haven't even put 4,000 miles on it. I should be shot! ?
Why do you have it then? When do you decide when you drive it?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why do you have it then? When do you decide when you drive it?

It leaves the garage when the air density, barametric pressure and pavement conditions are just right!

I guess I am treating it like some sort of poor investment by keeping the miles off of it and trying to keep it in pristine condition. I show it on occassion during the summer and drive it every once in awhile, but that is about it. It does have some modifications, but everything can be returned to stock and I have all the stock parts packed away. I wanted a Mustang for a long time, so it is also a bit of a dream fulfilment.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Nice addition, that black looks so good on there.

That really does make the old style X look small

I have to agree with you about the difference in the new gen X's, the more I drive mine the more I like it, even with the lowering springs and the 20's I just put on there it still has a great ride.

Nice Cobra, it's nice to have a toy like that that you can let sit most of the time, they are a blast to drive but if you drive one all the time they just seem like a regular vehicle, I know when I had mine I only drove it when it was nice out.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice addition, that black looks so good on there.

That really does make the old style X look small

I have to agree with you about the difference in the new gen X's, the more I drive mine the more I like it, even with the lowering springs and the 20's I just put on there it still has a great ride.

And those 20's look sooo good on your X! The 3rd gens just NEED 20's! I think it has to do with their size and the shape of the wheel wells. I'm thinking about some sort of 20 for the Limited when the funds are available. I'll probably stick with chrome or high polished aluminum to keep in tune with the grill and roof bars.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
If my opinion matters, I would just recommend you definitely remove that last pinstripe from the 3rd gen X. It just looks a million times better without that on. I really can't stand factory pinstripes, but thats me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man, I have to agree with you guys-I didn't realize how much bigger 3rd gens are.

I had a hunch but, I didn't think they were that much bigger.

Man, 98x50-your new X looks tight. Mine is black too but, not near as nice as yours(I mean your wife's). I'm soooo jealous. I'd love to have a limited.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look at it this way, with the XLS you have a blank canvas that allows you a lot more freedom for modifications. And another plus is that you don't get the mortgage that comes with the Limited either!

I'm very happy we got the Limited, but I could have been just as satisfied with a lower trim level. I managed to save her a nice chunk of change compared to what she was paying for her Wrangler and bike together, but I could have saved her even more if she would have taken an XLT.

I'm just happy driving my little ol' 5.0

·
Registered
40 Posts
...funny you mentioned the word "mortgage." We're trying to buy a house so we wanted to keep our payments realatively low. I live in good ol' San Diego where the median price of a home is approaching $500,000. After a mortgage like that, there isn't much room for extra car payments.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The rear mud guards - are they rubber, molded or part of the trim piece?

The Limited looks great. If I could turn back time I'd buy one of those and be happy with it the way it is (except I'd still drop it).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Very Nice! Great color! 8) Got the OEM clears whenever you're ready!;)

I was also wondering, the mud gaurds, are they wide enough to cover the wider aftermarket wheels we have? those look great!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The guards are molded out of some sort of flexible plastic. I'm not 100% in love with them, but they contour to the shape of the fender/molding/wheel well and keep a lot of crap off the paint. Now for some strange reason the front ones that fit the Limiteds unique running boards aren't available yet, so you will see that the front is sans guard.
:

They are too flexible to paint IMO, but are available in black or grey for you XLT Sport owners. I don't think they are going to cover anything much wider than the factory size tire, but still would offer some protection. Since my 98' has em, I know how they have saved the paint. I ran it without them for awhile, but ended up putting them back on. I'm so used to seeing them that they don't bother me. I kinda think they add a little finishing detail. They actually look better when my 18's are on.

Oh, these are factory Ford items too. Not aftermarket. I'll try to get a close up pic to show the finish and detail if I remember.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts