Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is going on at FXN

I was surprised at how many people were against spacers who have never even used them.

My perspective:

I have been running 1.25” spacers for the last 4 years I don’t even take them off when I change from my 15” winter tires to my 18" summer tires.

I have no bearing problems nor any abnormal wear on any of the steering linkage.

As some of you are aware, I live in Germany drive a 97 Mountaineer AWD and travel the autobahns at an excess of 80 mph daily.

I purchased the spacers from

Performance Wheel & Tire

1096 W. Hampden Ave.

Englewood, CO 80110

Phone 303-934-2929

http://www.performancewheel.com

1.25 spacer - Stock # AD07 4ea = 160.00 (I was told the price has risen)

½ Acorn – STOCK # R1/2A 20 ea = 15.00

They make your ride look mega cooler with the performance tires and a lowered stance.

Now I feel if you plan on considering them, you should solely make your decision as to if you want spacers or not from the people who have them. (I have a friend who has a friend who had spacers) aren’t giving you a true perspective.

I stand by the mfr. of the above mentioned spacers/ they are of good quality.

I personally think any spacers more than 1.25 are excessive and look out of proportion with your ride.

OK lets her you perspective

:box:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Re: Wheel spacers?? YAY or NAY?

Well, I agree, information is a lot easier to swallow when it comes from someone who has delt directly with the issue. Most of the stories you hear about spacers are just that. I heard, I was told, yada yada yada.

I think most of the negative vibes about spacers come from the style that is simply placed between the hub and wheel utilizing the stock studs. These are just metal plates with stud holes and are usually dirt cheap and poorly fabricated. My guess is that problems stem from poor balance and lack of sufficient thread area remaining on the studs for the wheel lugs.

I assume the style you are running are the type that bolt onto the existing studs with centering lugs and provide new studs for mounting the wheel. I have seen the ones H+R sells, which aren't cheap and appear to be of high quality compared to the "place between" variety. This type of spacer would appear to center properly and offer correct thread contact area for the whel lugs.

These are all just observations, as I have never used either type of spacer. Quite honestly, my wheel and tire combo has sufficient offset that spacers would be overkill. They sling enough garbage up onto the sides of the truck so as it is!

What wheel are you running on your Mounty?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rims are from a company here in Germany WWW.borbet.de Design CV 8x18 and the tires are Pirelli scorpions.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
We need to see some pictures of your X mountaineer!

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
My brother has had them on the back of his 1995 mustang, they are about 1.5 inches, it's been like that since 95, i haven't seen a problem with them.

I think the people that are against them, theorize and don't speak from experience.

As long as the studs are strong enough to not break off, i don't see why there should be an issue.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Rob, I didn't know if EE carried spacers, but if not then the ones I mentioned above are of good quality.

You might need them after that fiasco you had with your local Ford dealership.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump

This is for BCPower "Spacers are cool"

Personal preference, I like the ones I mentioned above over the ones you got Rob.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Hmm wow I never noticed that your rear stuck in that much. I really don't want to run spacers but I will have to. The front needs to clear the front swaybar. The rear is fine but just sticks in, like yours.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The spacers I mentioned above come in different sizes.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: Wheel spacers?? YAY or NAY?

I've been looking at the H&R spacers also and they're only usable beginning at 40 mm (1.5"+) and they're pricey. I've talked to some people that dealt with spacers before and they actually recommended Performance Wheel & Tire over H&R.

I had them bookmarked...

http://www.performancewheel.com/

http://www.hrsprings.com/site/index.html

Ive used H&R's on all my stangs and they are hub-centric so they are top quality products and well worth the money IMO.

AL

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am in between on the whole spacers issue. I work for Discount Tire Co. and we wont work on anything that has spacers or adapters. Spacers arent good because they can cause wheel offs. Which means somehow either a stud breaks or the lugnuts loosen up and the wheel comes off the car. At Discount on every car we use a 7 turn rule which means the lugnut has to turn atleast 7 complete turns on the stud for us to put on wheels. Ive never had a personal experience with them. I mean they make your ride look better a lot of times but we at discount believe safety over everything.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Spacers arent good because they can cause wheel offs. Which means somehow either a stud breaks or the lugnuts loosen up and the wheel comes off the car.
This is EXACTLY what happened to me back in March. You guys remember that right? There's a thread on this in this forum.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been permanently running with spacers since Feb 2000, note: they don't even come off when I switch from summer to winter tires. I have not yet had any problems with them what so ever.

I now have over 70,000 miles on them, The acorns that hold the spacers to the rotors well exceed the 7 turn rule that Tinys98Sprt mentioned and that goes same for the lug nuts that hold the tires to the spacers.

http://www.explorertalk.com/modules.php?name=...album=95&pos=13

Discount Tire is a business that believes safety is everything, which I 100% defeinantly agree. butttt If you want spacers.

Purchase a set of good quality spacers, and put the tires on yourself this will ensure that they are torqued to the proper specifications, and not destroyed by some crazy air gun tire jockey.

Rob the spacers you purchased were not of the bolt on type which I believe was the sole cause of your dilemma.

Maybe you can post a comparison picture of the two types of spacers so your readers can get a better understanding of what this thread is trying to convey.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Rob the spacers you purchased were not of the bolt on type which I believe was the sole cause of your dilemma.
Agreed

THE KIND OF WHEEL SPACER NOT TO BUY - UNIVERSAL WHEEL SPACER

Exact same kind of wheel spacer I used, was told it was safe by John Vanek, after my experience he pulled them from his shelves. These just sit on the shafts coming off of the hub and because of the decreased room now for the wheel to sit on, it puts an incredible amount of uneven pressure on the lugnut shafts since the wheel now sits out further and there is CONSTANT friction between the wheel and the spacer.

THE KIND OF WHEEL SPACER TO BUY - VEHICLE SPECIFIC WHEEL SPACER

Made specifically for your vehicle, extends the shafts from the hub so that it does not create extra uneven pressure. Guarenteed performance, very strong construction, reduced weight compared to steel spacers.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Rob looks good butttttt I have a problem with the second picture.

Rob the second picture is not even close to the ones I am am using, check out the mountaineers photo gallery in it you will see the type of spacer I am referring to.

The spacer bolts down to your studs of your car with acorns which are counter sunk in the metal.

Then you mount your tires to the new studs which are already pressure seated in the spacer.

With this set up there is no chance for tire movement.

If I get time tomorrow I'll take a tire off my ride and take a picture.

·
Registered
640 Posts
This is the only style you should even consider:

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is the only style you should even consider:

Actually that like the worst kind. If you look at how they work you have to bolt them to your hub. THe problem is the adapter (which that is considered an adapter) is made of aluminum which can crack easily. So thats why we dont use them. I dont care if someone wants to use them but ive sen bad cases of them coming off and i wouldnt want to be driving next to someone and their wheel comes off.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For those who asked for pics on how far the wheel sticks out after spacers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts