Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my first new article in a few months, I apologize for the lack of new content--so much has been going on lately it's been rediculous. But things are settling down and now it's time to check out the new content.

Entitled "The SALEEN XP8 Bodykit Plague", my new editorial focuses on the reality (or lack thereof) of the SALEEN XP8 bodykit and how everyone seems to have the bug to want it, but yet they don't understand it's not available to just buy.

Here's an excerpt:

Remember SARS? It spread like wildfire throughout Asia and even hit parts of Canada last year. It put international travel and business on the line, and as a result the economy suffered worldwide. It was covered by the media like a sporting event; tallys of how many countries were effected, and their death toll were kept like scores. But hey, that's history - there's an epidemic going around now within the Ford Explorer community with no cure in sight: The SALEEN XP8 bodykit plague. That's right.

Anyone who considers themself an Explorer enthusiast is already aware of the SALEEN XP8 - a special SALEEN vehicle that had one of the marque's shortest lifespan in history. Yet in the mere two years that it saw production, who would've guessed it would leave such an impact on the Ford Explorer community? SALEEN certainly didn't, and niether could many of us.

It's a short, fun read with some comical elements to it that I'm sure you all will enjoy. You can check it out by clicking here. Much more new content is on the way.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Nice job Rob. Its very interesting, though I am quite confused. It appeared before that you were quite excited about an opportunity to reproduce the body kits and you said so yourself that you would no doubt take the chance to purchase one yourself. This article seems to contradict that. Maybe thats not the point of the article. Could you shed some light on this?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Great job Rob!!!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job Rob. Its very interesting, though I am quite confused. It appeared before that you were quite excited about an opportunity to reproduce the body kits and you said so yourself that you would no doubt take the chance to purchase one yourself. This article seems to contradict that. Maybe thats not the point of the article. Could you shed some light on this?
I'm saying of course I would like a bodykit, but it simply is not reality. They aren't going to be made despite people's attempts at doing so. Talk is cheap, I haven't seen it happen yet but I've seen countless people hype up about how much these kits are going to be made. It never happens.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rob;

Very entertaining article, but the reality is Saleen as abandoned all pre-99 vehicles. S351R parts in any way, shape or form is just not available either. Guess I am a hankering for punishment because I own both an S351R and an XP8.

The reality is that a seperate company needs to be set up to sell Authorized Saleen Replacement Parts. The only blessing they need to receive is that Saleen recognizes them as Authorized Saleen Replacement Parts. This must take place as there are over 20 years of vehicle to stalk parts for. Whether Saleen is in business or not, it does not make a hill of beans becuase the market is not new Saleen vehicles. There is a market for these things no doubt. Get one real tricked out XP8 in a movie and whola, there is your market as the young generation are all about the marketing.

Saleen may not see a market for it but, the reality is it is hurting new car sales. Who wants to buy a new Saleen when 1 year into a newer model cycle (2005) they abandon all support and parts for the prior models. Nowadays, I would look elsewhere before purchasing new from Saleen. Even S7 owners had better be worried.

No the pre-93 boys (Saleen Mustangs) are just a screwed as we are. In fact the 94-98 guys, like me are just as hosed. There are NO parts available for pre-99 Saleen vehicles, any of them.

Your article is good reading Rob but the reality is that Saleen has already put the money into the R&D for these items. That is like saying, to a computer chip manufacturer like Intel that it is too expensive to produce 100,000 more chips. It costs peanuts.

The problem has spread to well beyond the XP8 my friends. Until someone with passion, a good business plan, quality plan and financial backing, complete with morale support from Saleen steps up to to build a company that specializes in Authorized Saleen Replacement Parts, we will all be driving the glass slipper. That quite simply, is the only solution available.

The market for Shelby replacement parts is there. Saleen has been in business a lot longer than Shelby did when with Ford (the first time) and there is a bigger market for the cars than Shelby at that time.

If I won Powerball, I could see myself doing this but I just do not have the financial backing.

Interesting article though.

Rick

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rick, thanks a ton for your input and insight. I really appreciate it. I didn't know Saleen abandoned all pre-99 vehicles in terms of parts and support; the article focuses primarily on the XP8 so that's all I really needed to know. But that is very interesting.

There is a market for these things no doubt. Get one real tricked out XP8 in a movie and whola, there is your market as the young generation are all about the marketing.
That is no doubt a very very valid point that I didn't even think of. But you're absolutely right! Again, excellent insight.

Your article is good reading Rob but the reality is that Saleen has already put the money into the R&D for these items. That is like saying, to a computer chip manufacturer like Intel that it is too expensive to produce 100,000 more chips. It costs peanuts.
OK, I'm not sure if I understand everything you said 100% but here's what I mean: Saleen sees little value in spending the time and money to re-create the molds for the XP8 bodykit when so little people in the *current* demand niche would even buy it.

For example, would McDonalds put another combo value meal on the menu if for some odd reason only 100 people would EVER buy it? No, they wouldn't, and it'd eventually be pulled anyway. Remember McDonalds Chicken Selects? It was around for a couple years and then boom, it was gone. I loved those things, a hell of a lot better then the McNuggets. But the demand was not enough. Odd example I know, but you see my point?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
87-93 mustang guys need not worry, cervinis makes nearly perfect saleen body kits. Quite a bit cheaper too.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I was browsing the Saleen website and I found out they do sell 94-98 mustang kits

http://www.saleen.com/store2000/set1.asp?car=Saleen

Edit: I noticed that that isnt the exact URL and for some reason it stays the same when I found the page

I also noticed something else on one of Saleen's webpages:

Aftermarket Performance Parts

The same high quality and attention to detail that goes into every Saleen vehicle is also evident in Saleen’s innovative parts and accessories. In house engineering and control of production ensure that Saleen parts, like its vehicles, offer superior performance and quality.

From exterior enhancements such as ground effects body kits and custom composite hoods, to superchargers, Saleen Racecraft® suspension systems, brakes and wheels, Saleen offers everything for the consumer to modify their Ford Mustang or Explorer for ultimate performance.

For more information on Saleen aftermarket products, visit the Parts and Gear section of our site

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My guess is SALEEN just didn't update their website. But again, for the right price I'm sure SALEEN would be able to do whatever you wanted to your Explorer. But you'd be paying astronomical prices.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nope;

Saleen has abondoned the pre-99s. Their website is wayyyyyyyy out of date and pretty much useless.

John Dillon, former VP of marketing is not there anymore and he was the biggest problem for the abandonment. I personally talked to him a couple of times and they will NOT produce the parts again. Then again, he is not there but I would hazard to say they will not. Too bad Cervini would not reproduce the XP8 kit.

Saleen has abandon the owners plain and simple. It can not be looked any other way. Money has not been the big issue with any Saleen owner. Factory support on the other hand.......

Rick

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Too bad Cervini would not reproduce the XP8 kit.
I'm really surprised they aren't considering the replicate other SALEEN parts.

Saleen has abandon the owners plain and simple. It can not be looked any other way.
Seriously, that leads me to believe that I would never buy a SALEEN vehicle in my life. No support from the own manufacturer is bullsh!t. DON'T make the vehicle if you're not going to support it.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
That is quite sad. Even Delorean has their own part service and they havent produced a vehicle in 20 years. Hopefully it gets better because I love Saleen's cars.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brand new Saleen XP8: $45,000

Saleen XP8 Carbon Fiber hood: $1,100

Buying a Saleen XP8, only to have Saleen discontinue the model and abandon all support for the vehicle: Priceless

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LMAO!
Very nice work Rob. You should send that to Saleen for a TV comercial
Actually I am somewhat making my own. I have all the necessary software and such so for shits and giggles I'm working on my own faux commercial.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I am sure some time down the line replicas will be made
Don't be so sure. This type of thing happens in the auto industry all too often. Give it a few years and see what kind of support you get for an Oldsmobile.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
87-93 mustang guys need not worry, cervinis makes nearly perfect saleen body kits. Quite a bit cheaper too.
Not to mention that you could drive on down to their shop, which is right around the corner from my grandfather, and they'll do installs and are really nice guys. I used to hang out with one of the Cervini's every now and then.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Cervinis has a hell of a good quality product, My Dad ended up getting one of there hoods for his Lightning, I was freaking out when he told me that he ordered a fiberglass hood, he called me when it came in and I stopped over scared to death to open up the box (with all of the crappy hoods out there) we got it out of the box and I was really suprised in the quailty....then then next step was installing the hood....it took a few adjustments but it fits great, once it was painted I was amazed at how good it looked, that would be great if they would make the xp8 kit, with there quality and good pricing they would sell a bunch of them, they could fab up a kit for the 2 doors also. I dont think people realise that there are people out here that do fix up Explorers, hell if they made more aftermarket parts available then I bet there would be a lot more modded Exploreres out there

Rob nice article

1 - 20 of 23 Posts