Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a leaking Thermostat Housing that I am trying to replace. Most of the videos were very helpful with one exception. On my vehicle (1999 Explorer Limited 4.0 6 SOHC) the Crankshaft sensor cable runs over the top of the housing. There is no slack in the cable and that makes removing the housing impossible without cutting the cable, something I really don't want to do. We have disconnected the sensor but the lower end of the cable seems to be either clipped or wedged tightly just at the point it heads up to the housing. Sorry I didn't take any photos.

Anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Seems like you'd just need to unclip or un-wedge it? I don't know about this case but sometimes if I can't see something from the top of the engine it is easier to see from the side with wheel off and wheel well liner out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
crankshaft sensor wire is clipped to the water pump bolts, you can see it from under the car. removing upper housing is easy once you remove throttle body, lower is pain in butt because you have to remove intake manifold. dont just use the supplied seal chances are it will leak, after market seals SUCK!!!! use a bit of rtv orange silicone also let it dry then reinstal upper housing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts