Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 AT - I ordered and received a new radiator as mine had a leak. (Shepherd Auto Parts 1 Row w/o EOC w/ TOC OEM Style Complete Replacement Radiator) Had it installed and during the process the mechanic (I have no experience in swapping out radiators and did need to risk it) informed me that it would fit, but I needed a two row (Further proof of my inexperience - I didn't know about "rows"). When I was purchasing the unit online there were questions to confirm compatibility. So now that this 1 row rad. is in there is a gap where the previous 2nd row once was. While I haven't taken it out on the highway to really put it to the test - a drive around town had the temp where it would usually be (On the gage - to the left of the middle marker). Should I send this back and procure an 2 row? Or have improvements been made in the radiators since 1997 and now a 1 row will be fine? Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I would change it for a 2 row personally for piece of mind. If you aren't experiencing problems in the heat of summer you will probably be ok long term with normal driving, but the rad may not be able to keep up on a long hill climb when towing a heavy load. Ford put a 2 row in there for a reason. The V8 just puts out more heat than the V6.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts