Explorer Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2017 Explorer Limited 4x4 and I'm looking to put some new tires on her. Runs the stock 255/50r20 right now and I'm wondering if the Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/55r20 will fit? Either that or the Nitto Grappler.

Anyone have experience putting something of this size on the stock rims?

I'd also like to lower the rear a bit... would it be possible to only install the rear lowering springs and hold off on the front?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Lower it simultaneous to putting larger tires on? Seems a bit backwards to me.

What are you trying to do besides make them rub? If you want it lowered for the improved handling performance, it makes no sense to go with a higher profile tire. If you want it riding higher from the higher profile, larger diameter tire, it makes no sense to lower it, even if it didn't create possible rubbing or bottoming out issues.

If you're trying to make something that looks kewl but is worse for both on road and off road, you can achieve that.

I don't mean to be harsh, just calling it like I see it. You're going in opposite directions, plus if it rides lower in the rear it will just look broken down.

If you just want a street machine people (no load) hauler, I would lower it and stick with the stock tire size. That is already the *compromise* upgrade over the 18" wheels and tires that give the best street ride. You can go a little wider but unless a fellow owner of those particular tires has measured them, remember some brands vary on specs more than others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J_C not harsh at all man. Really appreciate the reply.

So I guess I should have asked those questions separetly, but ultimately I'd like to know if the 275/55r20 tires will fit without a lift because my tires need to be replaced and I will be taking the truck through various conditions while owning it. I know the tires right now are about 29" tall and the Cooper Zeons are a bit over 31" so they should fit nicely and I wouldnt mind the All Terrain look.

The lowering question is more personal perferance than anything else as I'm not a fan of the stinkbug look and from what you've said, maybe it would be better to lift the front a bit rather than lower the rear.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The 31"+ will be pushing it, is why I mentioned if there are fellow owners particular with them as two different makes of tire claiming the same #s can be a bit different. I would check how much clearance you have right now. I would look at mine but it has the 18" wheels instead of 20".

As far as "various" conditions there's the rub. If you're going to haul loads or tow, you have to leave more clearance including extra suspension travel because every bump will make the wheels travel further up when there's more weight sitting above them.

I wouldn't do it. I'd stick with the next smaller size tire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine is lowered all the way around. 2.3" in the rear and 1.6" in the front. I have Toyo Proxes STIII on. 265/45/20R's. Fills the wheel wells pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts