Explorer Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is the sound that I get from the fuel pump on my '98 as long as the fuse in the main fuse box for the fuel pump & anti-theft system remains plugged in. Regardless, that is, of whether or not the key is turned on.

Car won't start, no self-starter or anything. Get occasional immobilizer msgs (but not all the time).

Tried recharging the car battery. As soon as I plugged the charger in, the same "tockatockatockatocka" sound came from the engine compartment as well.

Main suspect: the fuel pump, but is the pump causing the problems, or could there be other faults?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What do you mean by "get occasional immobilizer msgs"? The factory security system on a '98 is PATS2, which provides no messages, just flashes the Security light on the dash rapidly if it doesn't recognize the keys programmed into its memory. If there is a fault in that system it can also flash in a sequence to indicate the detected fault (or at least narrow it down).

I only have fair knowledge of the US based Explorers. I have heard of those in Europe having an additional layer of security which may include a fuel pump cutoff, based on a module near the fuel tank. You can find it by following the wires going to the pump.

If you have an aftermarket security system then I'd identify it and check its wiring (in case a poor wiring job has now failed) and attempt to wire around the power to the fuel pump in case the aftermarket system itself has failed.

That should seems to me like it could be that the aftermarket system is using a relay to disable the fuel pump and the relay is failing. "Maybe" the relay is socketed and can just be replaced, or maybe it's soldered to a circuit board and can be replaced if you can solder.

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree and need more info. Which engine do you have? I would also check the factory fuel pump relay which is probably in the main power distribution box under the hood. Check your owner's manual., on my '98 with the 4.0L SOHC V6, it is relay position #5, and is the same type of relay as others around it, for example the horn relay, so you could try just swapping another known working relay into the position for the fuel pump relay.

However it should not be making any sound when the key is not turned on, so I wonder if you have an ignition switch failure. You should trace the wire going to the #5 relay and see if it's getting power when it shouldn't be, and you can follow the wire to the ignition switch to see if it is outputting power when not in the start or run position.

You could temporarily run a fused 12V power and ground wire directly to the pump to see if it works, to rule that out without pulling the tank. If it does seem to work, check the fuel rail pressure. In the US the '98 V6 was the last year with the return fuel system which operated at a lower (35PSI?) pressure than later years did with the same engine. It should hold that pressure, VERY slowly dropping once the ignition is off. If it does not hold it then you may have a bad pump or fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, replaced the fuel pump, problem still persists. No response from the starter. Checked the fuses and relays, all seem in order. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
FWIW - My '97 was in a front end collision. Two things happened that kept it from starting. 1. The transmission linkage was in reverse. Replaced cable and neutral switch 2. The inertia switch (right side kick panel) tripped. Resetting did not work; the unit must be replaced if it trips. I got one from salvage.

Mine did not make the noise you mention but I did hear three beeps from the right side of the engine compartment near the firewall when I turned the key. I'm guessing that was the inertia circuit trying to tell me something. Eventually it stopped trying but after replacing it the truck started right up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts