Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just had to get my x towed, i was cruising down the highway going bout 60 when i tried to accelerate and it reved up like it was in neutral, so i immediately went to the shoulder, thinking i didnt have it fully into drive, so i put it into park, back into drive and it did the same thing. so i turned it off, then tried to start it back up again and now it wont crank, i have power to everything so its not my battery, when the tow guy got there we explained it to him and he mentioned the torque converter, which i have never heard of, and also thought it could be the flywheel. they took it to the shop we always use and they will investigate tomm morning, for the mechanical guys what does it sound like to you?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Torque converter = transmission. If that's the problem, say hello to the wonderful world of tranny problems.

Stay on top of that and make sure you don't get ripped off. Some garages like to rebuild your tranny at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yep, my X's tranny went out at around 140k and I think my parents rebuilt it. How many miles do you have Matt?

Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow that's pretty good on a stock tranny. Some go out at 60K or even lower. I hope mine makes it to 150k. Anyhow, good luck with the X.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its great timing financially tho, i have been scraping it lately and then last week i got my taxes, so unless its a full rebuild ill be fine w/o the parents assistance

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sounds like you got good life from the trans and it is time for the rebuild. I personally have a 176k on my X and the trans has never been rebuilt or replaced. Then again every 10k I change the filter and fluid as well. Preventive maintenance is costly but not as costly all at once.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well just got a phone call from the shop, and its the flywheel.... the guy said he had never seen a flywheel this damaged on a ford, they are working on it now and hopefully ill get it by late tonite

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Oh wow. That looks bad!!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
HOLY CRAP! I've never seen anything like that before. Do you secretly have a blown 500ci big block in that X of yours?

Glad everything worked out, though.
What was the damage to the wallet, btw?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
About what I expected. Yes, not anywhere near as much as tranny work, thank God.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yup, i thought for sure it was the tranny... but with my luck the tranny will drop soon enough

1 - 20 of 21 Posts