Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;
I have a 1998 Explorer XLT with the tow package. The problem is that there is no voltage at the connector under the Left turn signal on the Yellow wire (left turn to trailer). Right side works fine. Vehicle turn and hazard function normally. Have checked the 7.5amp fuse for the left trailer turn signal and it is intact. Have also checked the two small relays in the Power Distribution Box and they work when connected directly to 12vdc. I have a copy of the EVTM on order but will not arrive for a couple of weeks. Is there a single signal path for the Left Trailer Turn Signal that is separate from the Right side? At a loss as to why there is no signal on the Left side even tho the Vehicle Left Turn Signal works fine. Hope someone can help. Thanks. Take care and stay safe.
Burt

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
A diagram I have shows that after the Multi-function switch, you've got a dark blue/white wire to the interior fuse panel, fuse #7 for the left side, then from there, yellow wire straight to the trailer connector. Check for 12V pulsing at fuse 7 when the MFS is in left turn signal position then trace forwards or back from that.

Yes this is a separate path, all the way back from the MFS. It has to be, a turn signal would do no good if both the left and right were blinking simultaneously, then it'd just be hazard lights.

Anyway if you have the 12V pulsing on fuse 7, and I assume that's the correct fuse # for a 5.0L '98, then you probably have a break or short in the wire between the fuse box and the connector or the connector itself has corroded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JC thank you for your response. I finally got the EVTM I ordered and you confirmed what it says. I suspected the multi-function switch since I had it changed out several years ago. Took off the steering wheel covers and found the Blue/White wire contact had backed out of the connector body. Think it must have gotten caught while replacing the upper cover when the dealer changed out the switch. Haven't needed the trailer tow circuits since then so did not know it was damaged. Again thanks to all who looked and your answer. Sorry this is so long, but wanted to close it out with an answer. Take care and stay safe. Burt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts