Explorer Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 xlt Ford Explorer, the problem i have and happened last summer and was fixed, and now its starting again. What happens is that when i am braking usually around 20 mph there is a loud thump sound or something like that almost like the tranny is dropping. i can feel a little slipping of the tranny too but just a bit. when we took it back to the dealer they were unsure to but got it foxed i think they said they had to fox the CAM but i have forgotten. what could my problem be? please ask more questions if you don't understand my question, i am not very good at explaining things

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
How many miles have you put on it since the issues last summer, and was it doing the same thing then? The cam wouldn't really affect trans operation. Have you ever done any preventative maintenance on the tranny like changing fluid?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

we have put maybe 5,000 miles on it since, and yes, last year when we got it fixed it was doing the same as it is now, the thumping sound i described hasn't happened much now but it has done it here and there very sparatic but i don't want it start again when we are on vacation. and no we have not done any maintenance on the taanny it self

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Hmmm maybe it's the torque converter, but I would think you would hear that more upon accelerating rather than braking. It's tough to diagnose based on your description without seeing/hearing in person. Honestly if you can replicate the problem I would drop by a shop you trust and see what they say.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts