Explorer Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i have a 2002 Explorer getting pretty close to 30,000 but I would like to get the transmission fluid changed out, i know these are the "new sealed" tranny's but i still prefer to change the fluid...has anybody else changed theirs out yet???

·
Registered
427 Posts
yes. i have changed mine twice in 40k due to the fact that i have an erratic shift problem that the dealer cant seem to find. they tell me the tranny has a "learning process", lets just say its been in school for two years and has not learned a thing !! i had it done at a dealer for about $125

·
Registered
427 Posts
NO, I HAVE A 2002 V6 2WD XLT

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, I've been wondering about the transmission maintenance thing for a while too. We all know the fluid is synthetic and the transmission itself is sealed but, what the heck about the filter? The whole thing is just confusing. I've asked my "Stealership " about it too and they've given me different answers.

This is the one area about my X that I am the most concerned.
:

·
Registered
427 Posts
$700.00 !?!?!, That seems a little high to me. JMO. My 30k svc only ran me about $350.00. I got a discount cause I work for a dealer but, it still would have only been about 400.00 to 450.00 w/o my discount. I would shop around and see if you get a better price. BTW, "shop" your dealers. They get very generous once you start naming off the competitors who are cheaper !! 8)

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Shouldn't this stuff be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Shouldn't this stuff be covered under warranty?

Maintenance is never covered under warranty from Ford.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Actually I don't know of any company besides Audi that covers maintanence under warranty. Maybe BMW but I don't know. I always thought the warranty was if something breaks and needs replaced.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Most of your highline auto makers (Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Etc.....) all have maintenance programs during the warranty period. Services got to be so expensive, customers were not performing them. When the manufacturer got the vehicles back from lease, they were all dogged out. No one did the services on them, so the end result was the manufacurers had to fit the bill. And of course the other reason is simply one up the competitors by "including" this "free" maintenance program in the purchase price of the vehicle. Keep in mind, nothing is free. Ultimatly you pay for all this maintenance up front when you are asked to pay 50 grand plus for your new vehicle. If you were to add all the scheduled maintence items together (15k svc, oil changes, 30k svc, any recc. fluid changes, etc...)for the first 3-5 years, it will run about $2,000.00. This is a no brainer for the car maker. They will sell ther car at a premium price (close to the sticker price) and make several thousand dollars in profit, and add on top of that what they make in the financing and a $2,000.00 maintenance plan is nothing (cost wise) Dont mean to carry on about this, but I have to explain this SEVERAL times a day to my service customers at my dealership.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
bubba, actually thanks for sharing that info! That is useful to know. I appreciate you posting that! You obviously have a lot of first-hand knowledge in the industry...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I will let you all in on my back ground: worked in or in association with auto dealerships (a.k.a. stealerships on this site!) for about 12 years now. I have owned my own Detail busisness for about 4 years. I started as a porter for a Ford dealer in 1992 and have done everything from washing cars to being a Finance manager. I tell people that I have either sold, cleaned, financed, or serviced most cars i work with. Currently I am the Inventory Manager for the fastest growing Infiniti dealer in GA. I deal with service (new and used vehicles), used car reconditioning, (leather work, body work, detailing, etc...), salespeolpe, lease vehicles, ....the list goes on. I am not blowing my own horn, but I like the fact that I can give alot of info. to peolpe that ask me for it. The business is so crazy, I tend to rant, vent, and sometimes critisize it. Have any questions, just ask !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Actually I don't know of any company besides Audi that covers maintanence under warranty. ?Maybe BMW but I don't know. ?I always thought the warranty was if something breaks and needs replaced.

A lot of leases can be had with a "maintenance" package.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Most leases in this area do. The Atlanta Metro area is big on 2 to 4 year leases. For manufacturers, this is usually the time period that these no charge scheduled maintenance pkgs are good for. If you lease one of these vehicles, all you literally have to do is put gas in it, the dealer will take care of the rest.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Yeah but don't you have to pay extra for those packages? The Audi one is a a no charge thing. You pay for the car and they take the maintenance at no cost whatsoever.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It is realy up to the manufacturer or dealer. For example Ryan, last summer our dealership had a sales promotional. Any one who bought a new vehicle in the month of August got a 3 year 36,000 miles no charge maint. package. This covered EVERYTHING except gasoline and tires. However, if you went to another dealer across town, they did not offer this. Our sales dept. paid the parts and service for the parts and labor. Now, when you see and here these advertisments on TV and radio for No Charge Maint., the manufacturer is in essence "paying the bill". Yes, it costs money, but the customer does not pay for the service. The manufacurer makes up for the expense by trying to get more profit from the new car sale. More new cars sold, more money made, more of there cars with happy drivers on the road. Its customer service and marketing at its best.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts