Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Exploder Eddie Bauer with Control Trac. A few months ago the OD light started flashing on long up hill climbs. Figuring that trouble would not be far behind, I went to a tranny shop and had them hook it up to the diagnostic machine. The error came back as a sticking OD solenoid switch. So they drained the fluid, chaned the filters, and changed the solenoid and I was on my way. Within a few minutes the OD light was back blinking. In the words of Elaine Benis...yada yada yada....fast forward to Dec 22. I was away for most of the latter part of Dec and the first part of Jan so I had the tranny rebuilt. $1300 later and I gt in and drive to work....bing! OD light blinking. WTF? Any clues? They discovered the the OD drum was gone and replaced it and a few other things. The truck has been returned to the tranny place 3 times with number 4 coming up this week. At this rate, winter will be over before I get it right!

1. Is this common?

2. What RPM do most of you turn at 70mph? (4.0 L V6)

3. Anyone want an Exploder cheap?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Did you go to a dealer or the tranny shop? Maybe take it to the dealer for a diagnostic.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I think what Joe meant was is your tranny slipping or shifting hard or any making any noises or did the light come on one day and that it ?
:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering, too. I would assume the stealership would figure that out quicker but then again, the are stealerships.

If you went to Aamco, I feel sorry for you.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I think what Joe meant was is your tranny slipping or shifting hard or any making any noises or did the light come on one day and that's it ?
:

Yup, tommy you got the idea, the reason i say that is because i've seen and heard of dummy lights coming on with no actual reason.

So basically is the trans noticeably screwed up, or is the light just on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I didn't go to a "stealership" (I like that, I'll use it and give you credit for it!). I could feel the tranny hunting for a gear and took it to a friend of mine who dropped the tranny. He then sent it to a Transmission Shop who is known for good work. This one seems to have gremlins
though (the tranny not the shop).

Immediately after the rebuild, it was shifting silky smooth. When I took it out on the interstate and set the cruise control it was fine for maybe 10 miles. Then, on a long hill, it started hunting for the right gear and shortly after, the OD light started to flash. Then when I slowed down to get off at my exit, as I rolled to a stop, it clunked into a lower gear.

Back to one of my questions.....what RPM do you turn at 70MPH?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Unfortunately no one that replied here has a 6, all 5.0's, i'd make a post that says v6 owners what rpm are you at 70mph?, Most that have the v6's are younger guys and don't pay too much attention to the technical end of things. But you'll most likely get an answer that way.

Joe

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Unfortunately no one that replied here has a 6, all 5.0's, i'd make a post that says v6 owners what rpm are you at 70mph?, Most that have the v6's are younger guys and don't pay too much attention to the technical end of things. But you'll most likely get an answer that way.

Joe

I have a V6, and I am a young guy. Do I know how many rpm's I run at 70mph? It has been quite a while since I have even gone that fast in my explorer. I think it is somewhere around 2100 (give or take 100) though. Again, I am not sure, so don't think your explorer is screwed up because of this.

Who says young guys don't pay attention to technical things.
I just don't remember things like that after I am done driving, but if it is different while I am driving, I will notice it.

Fixed it!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
99SportX, There is no way your run about 1200 RPMs at 70MPH.

GTO2050, it's hard to tell what RPM V6 guys are running at because of the different rear gearing that people have on their X's. My '95 Explorer with 3.27 gears turned about just over 2,000 RPMs at 70. My '03 Explorer has 3.73 gears and turns about 2,300 RPMs at 70.

To find out what rear gearing you have look under Axle on your driver's door sticker and post the code it is and I can tell you what gearing you have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm... took it back in this morning. Mine turns about 2800 on a level surface in 4th OD at 70MPH. I think I'll just set it afire!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Hmmm... took it back in this morning. Mine turns about 2800 on a level surface in 4th OD at 70MPH. I think I'll just set it afire!
That sounds about right.

You said the tranny seems like it's hunting for a gear on a hill. I wonder if this is in some way overdrive related?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[..]

That sounds about right.

You said the tranny seems like it's hunting for a gear on a hill. I wonder if this is in some way overdrive related?
Absolutely! That's the issue. It has been back to the tranny shop 4 times now. They'll find it sooner or later.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts