Explorer Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 4.0 OHV and was wondering if there was a way tp upgrade the transmission for better shifting, better accel and also to help fix a problem of a vibration or grinding when I accelerate. Any ideas or suggestions will help, thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Check out Baumann engineering Joe (XP82000) will know for sure, I saw they make a TCS system for all sorts of trans. Transgo I believe makes a shift kit but if your trans is making a grinding noise and vibrating that probably is not a good sign. I say fluid and filter change for sure, may even go and have it checked out My X is down for the 4R55E trans right now it lasted me 176,210 miles though and I wasn't getting any grinding or vibrating til at all it just didn't go anymore when I started it up last thursday.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Wouldn't an Apten chip help out a little by smoothing the shifting?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The chip helps but a mechanical solution like the shift kit is a much better way to go for your transmission. I'll be putting in a Baumann kit very soon, as well. Just waiting to move to my new house.

If you have grinding and an vibration, a shift kit isn't going to do a thing. You need to get that tranny checked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts