Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well everytime I try to start the car, it dies immediately. Whenever I hit the remote starter button, it starts up and not even a second later you hear this loud screech and it shuts off. Whenever I start the car I need to hold down the acceleration pedal, quickly (and I mean quickly) throw it into gear and then almost slam on the pedal otherwise the engine dies....
:

I'm guessing the Simple Green got somewhere it should'nt have. Where, I have no clue. But everytime that happens my Check Engine light comes on. Just to back out of my driveway, stop, put it into drive and pull away it took me six starts to the engine to do that. Then I got to the stop sign which is about 300 feet away, and it died again. Then after that if I keep driving it, it will be OK and it won't die everytime you stop moving. But if you were to leave the car on (which is what I just did I was hoping it would fix it) and idling after about a minute it starts shaking pretty loud, and keeps sounding like its about to die and then revs high, goes back down real low...revs high...and so forth like a broken record...

I'm telling you this has been a TERRIBLE week for the Explorer. I've never had so many problems, and especially back to back with it. Before this month I only had one other problem with it and that was the transmission which turned out that all I needed was the fluid flushed and it was perfect after that.

So...I dont know what to do? Has this ever happeend to anyone? When I first start the car if I leave my foot on the accelerator and hold it steady at 1,000 RPM it shakes VIOLENTLY...i mean its really bad. Looks like its going to have to be towed to the stealership...and I KNOW they are going to give me **** about the MAC intake tube/KKM conical air filter, I bet they will try to have it replaced and put back to stock (which does nothing). Sigh, another few hundred dollars out the door and it looks like I'm going to have to buy a complete brand new MAC intake kit for this...
:roll:

Now I am dead broke, I mean absolutely dead broke.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Before you take it anywhere, clean your mass air and IAC. Mine did that once after some water got in the tube (K&N was off getting cleaned). I had to clean the mass air and IAC to get the Greased Lightning out. After that, I reset the PCM by unplugging it (not the battery), and it ran fine again...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm wait a minute, do you mean take off the air filter and clean that? What precisely is the IAC or "mass air" and how do I clean it? After all apparently the Simple Green was bad for it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hang on - let me get some pics...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
This is the IAC (actually on a Ranger, but yours looks exactly like it):

Should be (2) 8mm bolts to remove it and the gasket.

This is your mass air meter:

Best way to clean them is with Carb cleaner and q-tips. Take your IAC off, and fill it up with carb cleaner. Then take a q-tip and get all the carbon and toher out of it. Once you poor the carb cleaner out, you will see a pin and spring inside. Use your q-tips to celan it.

The mass air is a little more complicated, but the easiest way to clean it is by taking your filter off and looking inside the tube. In the mass air tube, you will see the meter sticking down. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN CLEANING IT! The filaments are very fragile. I would suggest just spraying it first with the carb cleaner and see it that works before trying to clean it with a q-tip....

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks a lot CobraXP...I owe you a lot for that. You probably just saved me a crapload of money and I know the stealership would've probably done the same exact thing.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Oh - forgot the PCM. After you are done, take the bolt out and the wiring harness will come out of the PCM also. This will reset your PCM the same as disconnecting the battery, but you don't lose any radio presets, etc...

Hope this works....

And don't worry about the help - hell, you've done a few things for me also!!!!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
that sucks rob, keep us updated, there goes my idea about cleaning the engine bay tomm, any other suggestions

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't be scared to do it, just cover up the battery and other electrical components. After all, i did it "wrong", so thats why I'm having the problems!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Make sure you do it with a cold engine!

xplorerdude - Go down to Lowes and get a bottle of Greased Lightning. When your engine is cold, spray the entire thing down with it, and then take your water hose and spray off the Greased Lightning. Easiest way to clean an engine...

I've done it since my X was brand new (plus all the cars before it). You don't ahve to disconnect anything... jsut spray on - spray off....

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
xplorerdude - Go down to Lowes and get a bottle of Greased Lightning. When your engine is cold, spray the entire thing down with it, and then take your water hose and spray off the Greased Lightning. Easiest way to clean an engine... ?

I did the EXACT same procedure except I used Simple Green. And I did do all of this on a cold engine.

·
Registered
566 Posts
When I used to detail cars at a stealership, we used spray it down with a degreaser and powerwash the engine while it was running, they always worked when we did it, although everyonce in a while we'd get some water in the plugs then we'd have to try and get all the water out. Not too fun.

·
Registered
666 Posts
xplorerdude - Go down to Lowes and get a bottle of Greased Lightning. When your engine is cold, spray the entire thing down with it, and then take your water hose and spray off the Greased Lightning. Easiest way to clean an engine... ?

I did the EXACT same procedure except I used Simple Green. And I did do all of this on a cold engine.

I do the exact same thing, with all my cars and havnt had a problem. But the MAF sounds like the culprit ... clean it off carefully and reset the ECU then try again. It should do the trick.

Hope you get it fixed man, also why would you need to get a new MAC intake ?? Fords not going to confiscate it ...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Did you get your X running yet Rob?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The difference, Rob, seems to be that you used Simple Green. I'm wondering if that stuff has the same evaporative qualities as the Greased Lightning? Maybe some of it hung around and is still contaminating something, like the MAF or the IAC. If I were you, I would check the spark plugs, too, and make sure there's no water down in there. Maybe spray some WD40 or similar in there.

G

·
hey Rob a good item that cleans the IAC very well is Nonconductive Electronic Cleaner...that stuff got mine sparkling clean and it runs great now....

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
also pull ur battery while doing it so the comp gets time to reset....

You don't have to pull the battery to reset the PCM - just unbolt the wiring harness from the PCM itself....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts