Explorer Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Sarek doesn't frequent here often but if he sees this then awesome. But in general I will address this to you all - I know he used some sort of power buffer recently when he waxed his Explorer. And it turned out incredible.

Anyway, I am PARANOID and I cant stress that enough about damaging my paint. I've heard some horror stories and plenty of "do not use" type of stuff but I've never really researched or found a straight answer about it. Now obviously it worked out great for Sarek but I want to know exactly what process he did and used, or what you guys do.

See, the previous owner of my Explorer must've done the following:

- Never waxed it, once

- Went through the automatic carwash at least once a week

Because it has at some points terrible swirl marks, and when the sun hits it just right looks absolutely gut-wrenching. That's why I CONSTANTLY wax and polish and clay bar my Explorer. Everything I've been doing to it has really done a tremendous amount but it is still not enough. Winters are rough on it. I eventually want to get my Explorer completely repainted and clearcoated with about six coats!!!

But yeah...I'd like to know peoples knowledge and experience with this. Would this HELP my paint? Or potentially do it harm? I can't afford to get anymore swirl marks on my paint!

G

·
see i use our power buffer to only strip the wax and put polish and the first coat of wax the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th i put on by hand and take off it just makes a more professional look. also, i use the red polish that blends with my paint, which i love, good tip from todd...try it sometime, wallmart special....

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That stuff sucks, IMO...the turtle wax color match wax. It's really poor quality...I get so much better shine and finish with Meguiar's or Zaino. There's absolutely NO comparison. You get what you pay for. $6 wax doesnt cut it. That's all I use now.

G

·
also, rob i'm also PARANOID when it comes to my paint, when i first wax and polished the x, i put 7 coats of red poish and 7 coats of wax.....it takes me like 6 hours to complete but its well worth it. we have alot of blemishes in our paint so i try to make sure they all come out...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn thats rough man. I can only imagine how much your paint must be abused by the weather conditions and just overall road conditions in PA.

G

·
Damn thats rough man. I can only imagine how much your paint must be abused by the weather conditions and just overall road conditions in PA.

yea the salt kills it and my dad taking most of the paint off my drivers side rear fender doesn't help the case either, clipped a road sign and shadered the side mirror into the drivers side glass, but thats another story. rocks and everything, i hate and the salt drives me insaine.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uh...you going to get all that fixed?

G

·
also, i forgot to add, the turtle wax red polish, i don't have a problem with, it hides all my blemishes, if u use it correctly or maybe its just because mines red, u know how different colors act with different waxes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just bought some of the white wax, do you use the crayon? My passenger side has a few light scratches that the previous owner or carlot used some horrible touch up paint on, i cant wait to get it painted, but that will be sometime much later.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
About buffers, there is a few thing that you need to know (since I used to be a auto detailer many years ago) The main thing is a special buffer to be used for detailing, not your regular one from sears. On Trucks on spike TV a few weekends ago they went into it, they even used a 2 Gen X to show how effective it is. There is nothing to be PARANOID about if you have the right equipment, always remember not to stay in one place to long and be careful and take your time on rounded or curved sections.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Even though it wasn't a buffer, whenever I think of using one it reminds me of that scene in Waynes World when Wayne and Garth were at the garage and Garth was messing around with that air wrench and ran it down the side of the car. THAT would probably be me with a buffer.

G

·
Even though it wasn't a buffer, whenever I think of using one it reminds me of that scene in Waynes World when Wayne and Garth were at the garage and Garth was messing around with that air wrench and ran it down the side of the car. THAT would probably be me with a buffer.

haha...so ur saying keep a buffer and air wrench outta ur hands when ur around my x or any others?....

G

·
That stuff sucks, IMO...the turtle wax color match wax. It's really poor quality...I get so much better shine and finish with Meguiar's or Zaino. There's absolutely NO comparison. You get what you pay for. $6 wax doesnt cut it. That's all I use now.

I'm gonna have to object to that. It really does help. It doesn't last long, but it helps with alot of my swirl marks and small chips. I use Meguiar's too. And I agree it does a good job at it, but it just doesn't hid alot of the small marks that the green stuff does. If I have alot of extra time I'll do a coat of Meguiar's, then the Turtle Wax. But that doesn't happen very often.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts