Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the moment you have all been waiting for.........(or at least I have)......

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
That is f***ing sweet man!!!!!

Wish that was going in my Sport.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I am very happy with it. Last night I bolted on all the accessories even though they aren't all painted yet. It looks good. Not much of the blue wil even be able to be seen, but I never really cared about that anyway. I finally feel like I have made progress on this project. Once I get the rest of hte brackets cleaned up, it will be time to install the cam and get everything all sealed up with gaskets and replace a lot of the bolts that were rusted/corroded. I am very excited.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Looking great Eric. You might want to avoid installing too many of the front accessory items. Clearing the radiator support going in might be tight. Ask David about installing the engine. I'd leave off the balancer and most of the front dress. Regards,

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All of the front accessories will be removed for the swap. I just need to bolt them on so I know if I have all the parts. I will be essentially mocking up everthing out of the car so I can see that I will have no issues during the swap itself.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Eric, that looks amazing! You make me want to pull my motor and get it all painted....well almost. I cant imagine how excited you must be.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eric, that looks amazing! You make me want to pull my motor and get it all painted....well almost. I cant imagine how excited you must be.

Oh, I am very excited. If you have the time, I highly reccomend tearing everything apart and cleaning it all up (but with the amount of time it is taking, you can expect some serious downtime for your vehicle
) I want everything to look pretty much new, so people won't even be able to tell that it has 43k on it already.

The only real problem I am having is finding stud bolts. They are like a normal bolt but they have extra threads coming off the head so you can mount brackets for other engine parts using a nut. The auto part store didn't have any, so they reccomended me going to an engine shop because they may know where to get them.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the ones that have mounting studs on top of the head of the bolt. There are some on the lower intake to head bolts, lower to upper intake, and water pump bolts. Some of mine are rusted and I want to replace them.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I am starting to think about this project again. Well, actually I never have stopped thinking about it. I just haven't posted anything in here.

I was under my X measuring the distance between the trans mount on the cross member and the mounting face on the outout of the t-case. I did this on my V8 tranny and t-case also. What I have found is that there is about an inch of difference between these 2 lengths.

What does this mean you ask?

This means that if I am able to compress the slip joint in my sports rear driveshaft about an inch (probably less, need to get more accurate measurements), I wouldn't have to have the driveshaft modified at a shop, thus saving me money.

Now, all I need to do is decide on a damn camshaft and start ordering parts. This should be fun.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You know better than to ask that question again, huh?

Good luck with your decision, keep us informed

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha, yeah. I quickly determined it is really a personal decision made with the advice of real professionals.

I trust what all you guys say, but the opinions vary so greatly that I was left somewhat confused. lol

1 - 20 of 227 Posts