Explorer Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 1996 xlt 4X4 Explorer, bone stock, with V6 4.0. When I got it there was a loud roaring and whining and vibration in the front end. I thought it was bearing hubs, so I changed them, same noise, thought it was axles, so I changed them, same thing, I changed ball joints, tiered ends all did not help the noise I decided to put on new tires and rims to make her look better, to my surprise the noises were gone. Road like a dream, and the only noise I heard was the wind. Fantastic. ...than after 6 or 8 months all the noises came back again. This time it has to be bearing hubs....nope, I put on another set of tires and all quiet again. Did alignment, had the front end checked, the tip control are ball joints were a little bit lose so, I changed the upper and lower control arms( A Frames) the had new bushings and ball joints. Everything has been great. Now it is 8 months later and the damp noise is back. Roaring, vibrating all over again. Has anyone had this problem ? Could the rack and pinion rack be the cause ? Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am just getting into mine, new to me. But been around 4X4 for a long time. Two things I would look at is the front drive shaft and the tcase. For instance the NP247 full time case, similar to the ones in our Explorers, will roar with needing an oil change or parts replacement

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transfer case has been replaced and rebuilt. The front drive shaft does not spin fast when not set to 4 wheel drive. I even removed the shift just to be sure and it still made noise. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I couldn't take it any longer, I went and got 4 new tires. So now she's smooth and no noise. I am sure in 6 to 8 months it will be vibrating and noisy again. Still looking for answers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts