Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well I finally got the Volant air intake kit today and I started the install. I had problems in every single step of the way with this kit install. It has the most components out of any kit on the market for Explorers which is good, because I'm sick and tired of the standard MAC-type "kit" fare.

But every single part of this install was really a PITA. HOWEVER, I must say that I wouldn't use any other kit. I'm so glad I got rid of that MAC intake tube and the KKM air intake. I was not satisfied with that setup.

This air intake kit sounds great...it's just barely audible over the exhaust though normally. It sounds mean as hell though, a hell of a lot better then most aftermarket air intake setups I've used or interacted with. That's the next thing that will be replaced - the flowmaster exhaust - with a Gibson.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Rob that looks great!!!
I can't wait to see your Gibson exhaust. I've never liked the look of the flowmaster.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's more like I can't wait to hear the Gibson exhaust...or lack thereof. I'm really getting tired of the Flowmaster because of its really high volume. I mean at this point it is completely broken in and has been for awhile, so it truly sounds like a V8 at idle, hard accelerations and high RPM's...but it's a hell of a lot more annoying than you would think.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the cool part is that it has that simulated carbon fiber plate on the top of the airbox (btw there is a conical air filter inside of that, the box is to keep it away from engine heat and for a cleaner air filter) goes with my whole theme I have going on with the carbon fiber interior pieces.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Another great mod, Rob. Looks sharp.

I wish Volant made a system for the 4.6. I'd have bought one

·
Registered
171 Posts
Im glad u had better luck with the kit than i had. The mofo wouldnt even fit in my X. The tube just didnt posisition the airbox in the right spot and the airbox didnt fit right at all. At first i thought maybe i got the wrong kit, but everything was SOO close to fitting right that it was obviously the right kit, maybe the tube was slightly defective or something on mine.

Either way i sent mine back to www.truckperformance.com and got it exchanged for a K&N instead.

I admit tho, the overall quality of the components of the Volant kit were TOP NOTCH, and it looks better than any intake kit on the market for explorers. As far as i know i was one of the first people to get one of those volant kits, So maybe they worked out some of the issues, but clearly they still have some seeing as tho every step of the install gave u trouble.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Susie:

I would have preferred the Volant, because their kits seem to be designed to find a place to get true cool air without sucking in the potentially hot air around the engine. They are essentially replacing your stock air box with new one that draws cool air from the fender well or wherever they can, and putting a low restriction filter in their box. The idea makes a lot of sense to me. Part of the reason I went with the K&N is because it at least has a heat shield around the filter, but who knows if that does any good? I would expect that the Volant, being enclosed, might be a little quieter, as well.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would expect that the Volant, being enclosed, might be a little quieter, as well.

The Volant is actually one of the loudest, but I sh*t you not my friend has a 2002 Explorer XLT with the same kit as me (obviously for his Explorer though) and when he really floors it, it is LOUD. In fact people even think he has an exhaust. But it sounds amazing, seriously reallly really good.

Even over my loud as hell Flowmaster 50 :roll: I can at full throttle hear my Volant although I only floored it like that twice. I can't wait to get my Flowmaster OFF and put my Gibson Exhaust on so that I can really hear that Volant. The Volant intake + the Gibson cat-back are going to sound so much better then the Flowmaster 50 does now.

In fact too another thing I noticed was even at idle with the hood popped, the Volant is loud - the MAC/KKM setup I had before this I really couldn't hear at all at idle. The Volant I can definitely hear.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That's surprising, Rob.

You would think that being enclsoed in a box, it would be quieter.

Shows what I know :roll:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im glad u had better luck with the kit than i had. ?The mofo wouldnt even fit in my X. ?The tube just didnt posisition the airbox in the right spot and the airbox didnt fit right at all. ? At first i thought maybe i got the wrong kit, but everything was SOO close to fitting right that it was obviously the right kit, maybe the tube was slightly defective or something on mine.

Either way i sent mine back to www.truckperformance.com and got it exchanged for a K&N instead. ?

I admit tho, the overall quality of the components of the Volant kit were TOP NOTCH, and it looks better than any intake kit on the market for explorers. ?As far as i know i was one of the first people to get one of those volant kits, So maybe they worked out some of the issues, but clearly they still have some seeing as tho every step of the install gave u trouble.

No believe me it sounds like I had the exact same problems as you did with this kit. I think I just kept persisting and not giving up. I spent about three hours on this kit install from start to finish. Much longer than I should've. But I had problems at every single step of this installation. But I refused to go back to what I was using or use anything else.

About the airbox & tube fitment - yep, same exact problems here. But once you get the tube aligned properly (man that was a B*TCH) the airbox doesn't move at all.

I'm going to have so much fun when I upgrade my MAS and throttle body :roll:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Looks good.
But, it costs something like twice what my MAC intake costs. I'll stick with what I've got since I'm completely satisfied. I may change the tube at some point to plastic (not metal) and see if that makes a difference (I doubt it) but I like the open element. I'd actually rather go with a ram air setup but then, wouldn't we all?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks good.
But, it costs something like twice what my MAC intake costs. I'll stick with what I've got since I'm completely satisfied. I may change the tube at some point to plastic (not metal) and see if that makes a difference (I doubt it) but I like the open element. I'd actually rather go with a ram air setup but then, wouldn't we all?

I got the Volant intake for $80 more than what EE charges for a 5.0 MAC intake. I'd rather pay the extra money for this anyday over using a MAC. It's money very well spent.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I paid $100.00 on Ebay so that's what I'm going by. Like I said, I'm happy with what I have and I'll stick with it, except for maybe changing the tube. A friend of mine has the Volant intake on his Ranger and he swears by it but then he drives my X and thinks that's better. Of course, his Ranger is a 4.0 and my X is a V8 so it's not really a fair comparison. So, who knows. Personal preference, I guess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts