Explorer Talk banner

Volant air intake kit on the way

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Rob 
#1 ·
After being what can only be described as "dissatisfied" with the MAC intake tubing and the KKM air filter, I just purchased a Volant air intake kit for my Explorer. Here's a picture of the complete kit:

The Metal/aluminum tubing from the MAC intake I just wasn't really impressed with nor did I find it really visually appealing anymore. I guess its all just a matter of opinion and personal taste. As for the KKM air filter, well, its certainly good no doubt but overall it just wasn't what I wanted.

I got the Volant air intake kit for $235 shipped so it was an incredible deal. With my vehicle coming up for inspection in a few months (June) now was the time to make a decision. I really doubt I would've passed inspection as-is, since I have no real way of proving its CARB/DOT approved since it isn't a true MAC intake kit.

I wanted something that looked more OEM but had the aftermarket performance. The Volant air intake kit was just that. I hope to eventually upgrade my MAS real soon to a CARB approved one from Explorer Express, I think BBK makes them. Another thing that really made me want this kit was the fact that it is boxed, and not an open, exposed conical air filter.

Just thought I'd share, and of course I'll post pictures once the kit arrives.

See less See more
#3 ·
I will sell the KKM, yes. In all fairness I won't sell the MAC intake tube as it really is not fit for future use. So I will trash that. Make me an offer for the KKM, please PM me though. Thanks

#5 ·
Nice, Rob.

I really wanted a Volant for mine, but they don't have one for the 4.6L, and they didn't respond when I tried to find out if they were ever going to make one.

#7 ·
I do have the MAC that EE installed on mine. So far I am very satisfied with the performance and appearance...guess I like the chrome look :roll:

Jeff...I've emailed not only Volant but AF1 as well asking if they had any plans to manufacture one for our 4.6L and never even received the curosity of a reply. So far the MAC is good for me

#8 ·
I don't really have that much of a problem with the chrome look, its a nice look, but I just don't like it overall compared to what else is out there. And like I said, I want an OEM look basically, but with the aftermarket performance.

#9 ·
Cool, Rob. You will have to tell us how it performs. I like the way those look! Deffinatly, very cool. But I just can't get over the cost. I also just don't see how that will be a huge difference over a stock air box with a drop in K&N filter, you know what I mean. It will be using stock air hole's so it is just a replament box with a conical filter attachment. I am sure it is better though. Take lots of side pictures when you get it. I am sure that I am not the only person that wonders about these things.

Side Note: I would be more interisted in these things if it wasn't for the EE S/C I just secured with John V just a couple of days ago so it won't be anytime now untill I am Blown!!!
S/C

#10 ·
I got tired of waiting on Volant, and went with the K&N. I'm liking it a lot, but it just seems like Volant does a good job of engineering a system that has a good chance of pulling cooler air. Maybe thats why they're too busy to answer any email.

#11 ·
All I can say is I am thoroughly impressed with my friend's (CGAH02), which is in his '02 XLT. He constantly gets compliments on how it looks and sounds. Last year we had to drive everyday to a location for this school course and so I know how his truck performed before and after. His truck definitely acceelerates nicer now.

I've been so impressed with his Volant, that is why I went out and dropped down the cash for it. BTW Matt it does have a conical air intake inside, but its protected by the box. Again I will take a ton of pictures though.

As far as the price, yeah I hear you. But the K&N FIPK2's are just as expensive if not more. I know this because I almost got one back when I ended up getting the MAC Intake tube & KKN that I use now.

#17 ·
Here's a picture of the exact kit installed in a 4.0 SOHC Explorer/Ranger:

Notice the awesome carbon fiber look on the box. This will go perfect with my other miscellaneous pieces I have sent/will send to Phoenix Imaging. I prefer this design anyday over MAC or others.

#18 ·
And here's a little insight into the Volant vs. other popular brands such as K&N, note that this is NOT from Volant the manufacturer, this is from an actual Ford enthusiast:

Volant's Intake produced a more of a consuctive or stable hp increase meaning the same hp through hot and cold temp ranges. Volant is the only true cold air intake. It draws cooler air from outside the engine compartment not the hot air from inside. ?

They do have another style that does draw in engine compartment air but I choose the Volant system that draws the outside air for the reasons stated above. I don't show my truck and if I did I would probably buy one of those chrome plated shiny ones from someone else for the looks. Drawing cooler air in just makes more sense to me for better hp gains in hotter temps.

The boxed version like I got takes true cold air, and not the hot air from the engine compartment. Intake kits such as MAC's and K&N's with an exposed conical air filter draw in hot engine compartment air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.