Explorer Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I just got my Explorer 92. I need tire replacement. Costco's Michellins are no less than 1 grand. I can not spend that much money. The alternative is Walmart tires or Cooper tires. I am in Mexico, I have limited access to brands. What would you do? Brand (Goodyear, Michelin) or cheap ones? (Cooper, Walmart brands). Maybe brand in the front, cheap in the rear?

By the way, the Explorer comes with P265 in the rear and P245 in the front. They come mounted in rims with the Mustang logo. Do I need these tires specifications or the 4 can be the same measure?

:shrug:

·
Registered
102 Posts
my 98 came with goodyear tracker 2(only sold at walmart) and they were absolutely horrible! i just recently got goodyear radials and i went up a size from p225 to 235 and they feel amazing. they straightened out my steering wheel and hug the ground well.

im not sure your intentions for the truck, but i lovee my radials. i have heard great things about michelins but i got the radials for a good price so i went with them. no regrets.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Can you get General Tires down there? They are very good I've had much luck with many sets of them on multiple cars. I would put the same size tire front and back if I were you. You'll have to give the rim size for a tire size suggestion.

Reactions: PurpleLizzard

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're not dead set on tire warranty BS then get them off eBay. I was quoted $950 for my Cooper tires locally. I went to eBay and paid $425 shipped with a $100 rebate from Cooper, bringing the tires to $325, rated for 90k miles. I had a local shop mount and balance them free (friend of mine) but even mounting and balance should cost around $80, still a huge savings.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Cooper tires are good.

As far as the staggered fitment, you need to determine if the wheel widths are different. If the rear wheels are wider than the front you will need an appropriate sized tire for each width. Otherwise identical tires all around are preferred.

·
Registered
102 Posts
well this guy dropped his thread lmao i know a couple people with cooper tires and they LOVE them. here in NY we get snow so i have to think about that. thats why i didnt get the general tires because i read soooo many reviews on how they lost traction in rain sleet n snow

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi sorry, for not answering back but I did not receive a notification of the replies.

Thank you for your advice. I took advantage of the fact that here in MX you can get good deals in used tires. I found a tire shop that sold me a set of 4 michelin tires, really nice with more than 1/2 inch of life, they are perfect for the mustang rims, driving experience is very good. I paid just like 50 USD for the 4 of them, installation included. I think that will be my option for tires in the future!

·
DaBeave
7 Posts
If your vehicle is a 4x4 you have to run the same size tires . Going with a matched set of four also means that you can rotate them front-to-rear for more even wear . Most store-branded tires are actually made by one of the big manufacturers for the retail chains , usually on a carcass for one of their more high end models . If you are shopping at walmart for example their house brand tires are American made . Don't avoid Korean tires either , my winter tires are 235/75 Hankook Winter I-Pikes and they are excellent , their grip on ice is remarkable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts